Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,863 Posts
Also look at the San Marco Aspide. It's narrow, but a comfi saddle if it fits. You might be able to go up a couple of mm's in width. A lot of it depends on the shape and where you position yourself. You might also look at a San Marco Concor Light. I've used lot's of saddles, up and down the scale on widths. I like the Era also.

·
chamois creme addict
1,479 Posts
Other choices

Selle Italia - the new Flite (2007 onwards) and venerable SLR, both are around 130 mm wide. The SLR is not quite as durable as the leather is very thin and the rails are hollow Ti, but it is very light. There are carbon-railed versions of Flite and SLR saddles as well.

Prologo Choice - this is a new saddle company spawned from longtime maker Velo. The Choice is very narrow at 124 mm. It has a unique look with a cover that can be changed out to another color/density. There is another model called the Nago that is also quite narrow, looks a lot like the SLR.

Fizik - the Arione is about 130 mm wide. Beware that it has a wide-ish nose compared to a Flite or SLR. Also, the Arione shell does tend to sack out over time. If I ever decide to try one again I will "shell" out for the carbon model with the carbon twin-flex construction.

San Marco - Dinosaur already mention the Aspide, Era and Concor Lite.

A lot depends on what type of saddle you prefer. Viewed from the side, a saddle that is flat will be more easy to move around on. A saddle that is concave tends to hold you in one place and/or provide resistance when you push backwards. Also, viewed from behind, some saddle are very curved and others relatively flat. This will also affect the "feel" of the saddle. A saddle that is more flat viewed from behind will feel a little wider in the sitbones than a similar-width curved saddle.

·
Registered
10,161 Posts
thoughts...

The way tha tmost saddle flare out in width makes me think that a wider saddle will be the same width as a narrower one, just a bit further forward on the saddle.

I found that my sitbone discomfort was due to the fact that most road saddles have a relatively sharp corner radius in the sitbone area. Switch to a Fizik Gobi that is most more rounded from side to side fixed that problem.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.