Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. Sorry for another "which would you choose" thread, but here it goes....

I am down to these two bikes....

1. 2010 Tarmac Expert full Ultegra 6700 ($2699 NEW)
2. 2009 Tarmac Expert full Ultegra 6600 ($1999 DEMO)

The fit of both bikes is great with little tweaks here and there. I've ridden both a couple of times on short 10 mile rides. In all honestly, I can't feel much difference between the Fact IS 10r frame and the 8r frame. I already have a SRAM red gruppo from my previous bike, so the 6700 vs 6600 is not a big deal to me. And, I already have a nice wheel set ready to replace the stock ones on either of these bikes.

The '09 is white with red accents, and the '10 is red with carbon accents. I can go either way in terms of color. So, I guess I am deciding whether the extra $700 is worth it for the 2010 one. Both are still under full warranty. I am leaning towards the new 2010 one, but just wanted to get your opinions/suggestions. Thanks.

Have to decide soon, so I can get back on the road again :D And, late model/good conditioned Experts in a 52 cm size are difficult to find these days. :mad:

·
Molto bene
111 Posts
09 I say. 6600 Ultegra looks better. Unless you plan on stripping the group and reselling it. A full 6700 Ultegra group can go for $800 in perfect condition.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Doba said:
09 I say. 6600 Ultegra looks better. Unless you plan on stripping the group and reselling it. A full 6700 Ultegra group can go for $800 in perfect condition.
If I end up with the new 2010 one, I would sell the Shifters, Crank, and Derailleurs. I would leave the Ultegra brakes and rear cassette on there. But, I am not sure if the Red shifters/derailleurs would work with the Ultegra cassette?!??! Anyone?

·
Registered
864 Posts
Thought the 2010 frame was all new

actual trickle down from Pro models? I did a little research on this model before buying my Cronus. If that's the case, and money is not that big of a deal, buy the latest, if not you'll be wishing you did.

·
Adventure Seeker
5,115 Posts
Yes the cassette will work perfect with SRAM components. I personally recommend Shimano cassettes over SRAM from my experience. If it was me, I'd keep the crankset and front derailleur as well.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the responses guys. I am still very undecided. :confused: :(

Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Peanya said:
Yes the cassette will work perfect with SRAM components. I personally recommend Shimano cassettes over SRAM from my experience. If it was me, I'd keep the crankset and front derailleur as well.
Thanks for the tip. :thumbsup:

·
Get me to In&Out
4,775 Posts
Get the 2010 and let a bidding war start on the 6700 parts on eBay. You will be amazed how much stuff goes for on Ebay when you sell it. You will bet more reselling the 6700 parts than you would the 6600.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've decided on the 2010 Tarmac Expert.

The LBS is going to put my Sram Red Shifters, Red Crank, and Red rear derailleur on the bike today (taken off my previous bike that I sold). I will also remove the stock Mavic Ksyrium Equipe wheels and put on my Easton Ea90 SLX wheel set.

Thanks for all of your input. In the end, I know myself. If I went with the 2009 Fact 8r frame, I would've had the itch to upgrade...that's just my personality. It will cost me a little more, but I just wasn't comfortable with getting a DEMO bike with so many riders trying the bike.

So, I will be listing BRAND NEW Ultegra 6700 Shifters, Crank (53/39), and Rear Derailleur on Craig's list and/or Ebay. If anyone is interested here, LMK. Thanks again for all of your suggestions/inputs :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Update:
2010 Tarmac Expert
Sram Red shifters/Cranks with ceramic bearings/rear derailleur
Sram Force Front derailleur and brakes
Shimano cassette
Ea90 SLX wheels with hybrid ceramic bearings

SOLD: Shimano 6700 set less the cassette. :D

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
appleSSeed said:
congrats!
Thank you. Final weight with pedals: 16.05 lbs.

I stripped the bike of all Shimano parts except for the cassette and I used Dura Ace cables.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Doba said:
What did you get for the Ultegra group?
$600 without the cassette and chain. Maybe could've gotten more? In the end, I am a big fan of Sram, so I knew I would never use the Shimano parts. I didn't want them to just sit there collecting dust.

I am deciding if I want to sell the Mavic Ksyrium Equipe too? May just keep them just in case....

·
Molto bene
111 Posts
Not bad at all. I'd keep the wheels just to have another set. Try out some different gearing on another cassette and have a rainy day wheelset.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Doba said:
Not bad at all. I'd keep the wheels just to have another set. Try out some different gearing on another cassette and have a rainy day wheelset.
Yeah, sounds like what I will probably do. :thumbsup:

Planning on posting up some pictures later on tonight.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Good choice, love to see the pics.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts