Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Cat 6 rider
3,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just thought I’d show you a picture or two of my order from Nash Bar. I ordered a 6V 20W MR11 halogen bulb. Mine burned out, and I’ve been unable to do any night riding. (If anyone is about to suggest I patronize my LBS, there are 3 within riding distance. 2 don’t carry replacement bulbs because they say they can’t compete with hardware store prices, yet when I went to 4 local hardware stores and none of them had a 6V MR11 bulb of any kind- because it’s a specialty bike item- oh well. The 3rd LBS did have a few MR11 bulbs, but only 12V models which the hardware store has in bulk.)

I waited more than a week for the Nash Bar order. When it came, there was indeed a sticker generated for a 6V 20W halogen bulb- affixed to a bottle of the health supplement Optygen. Optygen? Halogen? Close enough, right? However, when I try to make the substitution I don’t see anywhere to plug the bottle in, and it doesn’t fit the light's housing. Eee-diots.

It would be funny if it didn’t mean another long wait for night riding.

·
Registered
192 Posts
What can you do?

Mix ups like that can drive you nuts........
I once ordered a TCR frameset from a bike shop in the U.K. The mix up in my case happened when the Courier firm got my personal details mixed up with my Work details -
at the time I worked in Tech support for a multi national. I had despatched replacement parts from work to a U.K customer, something I'd do several times a day without further thought. A couple of weeks later my wife signed for a delivery addressed to me at home.
I couldn't figure out why my employers had despatched parts to my house ( in the Irish republic). When the frameset didn't arrive I phoned the bike shop. They came back and said my wife had signed for the order. It took a huge amount of phone calls to get to the bottom of it.
The frameset had been sent to France and had been "run over by a forklift". Funniest part of it was the bike shop thought I had somehow deliberately caused the whole debacle.
The manager even said " If you changed your mind about it why didn't you do the decent thing and return it without vandalising it?" That man was really angry.
It was only when I asked them how could I have got the frameset back to the courier that they realised I was innocent and I got my refund.

·
"Cypress Gardens" Fl.
686 Posts
LOL....thats funny, dude. Sorry you had to go through something like that though. I use a 12v 20-watt MR-16 on my homemade pvc light and I'm just thankful my local 'Lowes' store has that in stock in case it burns out, which it has'nt in the six months I been running it every night.

·
Cat 6 rider
3,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
boyd2 said:
http://www.batteryspace.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=743

They have 20 W Halogen bulbs for about $3. The beam pattern is not quite as tight as NightRider Bulbs, but they are pretty good. They are a great source for build your own light supplies.
Thanks for the information- great source. I actually found them after I placed the Nash Bar order, but figured, what the heck, I'll just eat the extra 12 bucks NB charges so I can get to riding sooner. I placed an order with them the day NB's order arrived messed up, and the bulbs arrived today (can easily afford to keep a couple of spares at that price)- night ride tonight. I'll just be getting a refund from NB on the mess up.

Oh, and Batteryspace has both 12 degree and 24 degree bulbs. I'm not sure what the stock Niterider is. I like the narrowest beam I can get so I ordered 12s. I want to see what I'm about to run over.

·
Cat 6 rider
3,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
comsense said:
Mix ups like that can drive you nuts........
I once ordered a TCR frameset from a bike shop in the U.K. The mix up in my case happened when the Courier firm got my personal details mixed up with my Work details -
at the time I worked in Tech support for a multi national. I had despatched replacement parts from work to a U.K customer, something I'd do several times a day without further thought. A couple of weeks later my wife signed for a delivery addressed to me at home.
I couldn't figure out why my employers had despatched parts to my house ( in the Irish republic). When the frameset didn't arrive I phoned the bike shop. They came back and said my wife had signed for the order. It took a huge amount of phone calls to get to the bottom of it.
The frameset had been sent to France and had been "run over by a forklift". Funniest part of it was the bike shop thought I had somehow deliberately caused the whole debacle.
The manager even said " If you changed your mind about it why didn't you do the decent thing and return it without vandalising it?" That man was really angry.
It was only when I asked them how could I have got the frameset back to the courier that they realised I was innocent and I got my refund.
When the guy asked, " If you changed your mind about it why didn't you do the decent thing and return it without vandalising it?"
You should have said, "Then why would I even have a forklift if not for just these situations? Think."
Didn't somebody's insurance cover the damage?

·
Registered
797 Posts
If your hardwear store didn't have them,, did you try an auto parts store?

·
Registered
44 Posts
too funny

Your story is too funny. I'm still laughing. Sometimes the absurdity of a situation is so extreme it's hard to be mad for more than a moment. Great sarcasm!

I have used battery space as well, and built up some lights last fall.
Glad you ordered from them, great prices etc.

·
Cat 6 rider
3,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
russ6789 said:
Great deal on the optigen! Usually goes for around $50.00.
Then load up on them halogen headlights- maybe anything that ends in 'gen'! I think NB is selling it for around $40, but I'm not trying to profit from their mistake, either. I've got to work on that honesty streak in me :idea:

·
Cat 6 rider
3,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Visitor302 said:
If your hardwear store didn't have them,, did you try an auto parts store?
No, I could try, but all cars, and I think even all motorcycles, are 12V now, aren't they? I could see large places carrying 6V bulbs for a few of the old timers, but the MR11 shape bulb post dates the 6V phase out.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.