Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
14,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried to order something online a couple of nights ago and their website twice turned my credit card down. There was no reason for it to do so, so I just called and placed the order over the phone.

Now I'm wondering if that situation has something to do with the security breach you've been discussing in the thread below. Trying to figure if I should be concerned or not. Any of y'all had similar recently?

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
It's possible that Nashbar shut down on-line CC processing when they became aware of a secruity breach. Whether it was a trojan horse on the Nashbar site, or something with their outside CC processer, is something you may never learn. Possibly they're changing processers or use a different one for phone sales, or possibly not.

The best thing is to stay aware of charges by checking your A/C daily, and being ready to respond. You might also phone Nashbar customer service and ask them directly, or call your CC company, and request extra alertness to possible fraudulent charges.

Given the endemic problems of electronic security, it never hurts to be cautious.

·
Registered
182 Posts
OES said:
I tried to order something online a couple of nights ago and their website twice turned my credit card down. There was no reason for it to do so, so I just called and placed the order over the phone.

Now I'm wondering if that situation has something to do with the security breach you've been discussing in the thread below. Trying to figure if I should be concerned or not. Any of y'all had similar recently?

I used to work for a company that built e-commerce websites. We used to have that problem a lot when the address verification of the credit card processing company was set too strict. Does your billing address have an apartment, suite, or PO Box number? Those were always the hardest to get through on any verification stronger than "zip code only."

·
Banned
14,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
screamtone said:
I used to work for a company that built e-commerce websites. We used to have that problem a lot when the address verification of the credit card processing company was set too strict. Does your billing address have an apartment, suite, or PO Box number? Those were always the hardest to get through on any verification stronger than "zip code only."
No, but I did slip up and use my given name (Ed) instead of my initials, as appear on the card account (E W). I was wondering if that caused the problem.

·
Registered
182 Posts
OES said:
No, but I did slip up and use my given name (Ed) instead of my initials, as appear on the card account (E W). I was wondering if that caused the problem.
That may be the reason. If the name didn't match, it would have failed pre-authorization in a lot of cases. Some sites only verify last name and zip, but others will verify every line of the billing address. This is all done to prevent fraud, so it's a good thing (even though it can be a pain for the consumer).

·
Registered
832 Posts
The crook who boosted my CC off the Nashbar site just sent me a cubic-zirconia ring - pink. Others have been reporting similar events. So they do get your address.

·
Master debator.
8,777 Posts
I hope they (Nashbar) are aware or at least concerned about these events. I should e-mail them and let them know why I have not ordered from them lately...

·
Registered
666 Posts
OES said:

Back when I used to order from Nashbar , I would ALWAYS get an email from customer service stating that there was a problem authorizing my purchase. I would get on the phone with them and read them the billing info exactly as it appeared in my CC statement (and exactly how I had entered it in the website to begin with). For some reason, there was always a problem when entering in the website but it would go through when getting them on the phone. Last time I ordered from them was over a year ago and had this happen. As somebody else said, it might be the settings on their payment processor are way too strict sometimes.

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
OES said:

Either your billing address isn't the same as you submitted (including phone #) or they suspect fraud. I got a denial from Amex when trying to set up my auto-pay with Verizon--after a phone call I got it straightened out.

//if that isn't it then maybe you're over your limit?

·
Banned
14,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Bocephus Jones II said:
//if that isn't it then maybe you're over your limit?
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! You have no idea how funny that is!

Unless I have a limit of 79 dollars, that is. LOL!

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
OES said:
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! You have no idea how funny that is!

Unless I have a limit of 79 dollars, that is. LOL!
Hell I don't know. I figured maybe you bought a few cases of Pappy Van Winkles with it before you hit the Nashbar site. :D

·
Banned
14,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Bocephus Jones II said:
Hell I don't know. I figured maybe you bought a few cases of Pappy Van Winkles with it before you hit the Nashbar site. :D

I buy my booze with cash. I buy everything with cash. Don't even have a debit card. My goddamn credit card only exists to buy bike parts cheap online, and I pay it off instantly. I'm old fashioned about debt. Even though I'm a liberal.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts