Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried the Nashbar carbon cyclocross fork? I weight 215lb. Thought about swithching to a carbon fork for a nicer ride, lighter weight. I use my Surly Crosscheck for dirt roads or pavement and seems this fork measures close the to the Surly.

· Registered
348 Posts
I've raced on one for 3 seasons now with a light steel (EL OS) frame that I bought second hand. I have no complaints about it, I upgraded to a used full carbon Alpha Q fork for a couple of races, but it really didn't add anything to make me faster, maybe a little easier to suitcase over barriers, but it also flexed a little more than the Nashbar (aka Winwood), which made me nervous and I switched back. You'll see a little weight savings over the Surley fork, but I doubt that you'll notice much difference in how it feels, assuming the offset and length are similar. They are both stiff forks and neither would be my first choice for a bike that sees mostly dirt road/pavement (although I only weigh 150lbs and ride a 55cm frame). I just don't think you'd see enough of a difference to really call the Nashbar much of an upgrade- my choice would be a lighter high end steel fork, as an expensive lighter carbon fork doesn't make much sense with a relatively heavy steel Surly frame and a cheap, relatively heavy carbon fork like the Nashbar isn't going to enhance your ride much. Or just keep what you have and save your money for the rough economic times ahead- your bike's all good already!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.