Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought the Nashbar fluid resistance trainer mostly for my wife but I will ride it also from time to time. Set up was easy and switching out bikes is no problem

I tested it out today and after about 15minutes it started to deliver uneven resistance. It would become harder and then easier as I rode. Tire was adjusted to the trainer according to the instructions as everything actually. .Shifting up or down 1 gear would provide the resistance I wanted as it goes back and forth.

Basically is that expected with this type trainer?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
I have the same trainer, it does not do what yours does. Isn't even 'lumpy' before it's warm, and is consistent.

Not related to your concern, but strangely it provided lots of resistance when it was new, and every year it seems to be considerably weaker. Is that to be expected too?

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I do not know much about them. Just picked one out is all. I suppose if the resistance weakens over time that would not be that great either. I don't know but will just ride it for a couple weeks and then decide to keep it or send it back. Maybe the change in resistance is just a breaking in period or something.

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
31,082 Posts
Fluid trainers generally get harder as they warm up (starting from cold, first 5 minutes or so). At least that is my experience with the CycleOps ones.

Yours sounds like a lemon.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nashbar has good customer service and I'd call them if you haven't already.

I have not called them actually. I figured whoever answered the phone would just say to return it. However I have returned stuff to Nashbar before and they are straight up about it.

I was going to see how it goes first and return it in a month if it is a problem. The deal with returning is it's heavy and the return shipping will not be cheap. They have a $7.00 fine to return stuff. So it's kind of almost not worth sending back other then just to be rid of it.

I am going to use it for a month and see if it is a consistent thing. I was thinking maybe after it breaks in some the fluid inside would smooth out possibly. I will ride on it again tonight. I missed my ride today because I had a damaged fence from the storms and spent the morning doing a repair. So an indoor ride tonight seems like a good idea.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
I've given some more thought, and I think noticed a small periodic variance in resistance of a couple of minutes at a time, when riding a steady speed, when it was new, but I didnt make a big deal of it for the reasons you mention, but also because it's inexpensive compared to other trainer (and I'm also in Canada, so forget all this. TBH I don't notice this happening any more.

Since then I started using workouts that had much more variation so any difference gets buried in other efforts. These are tedious enough that I don't do LSD on the trainer anymore.

·
Registered
514 Posts
The deal with returning is it's heavy and the return shipping will not be cheap. They have a $7.00 fine to return stuff. So it's kind of almost not worth sending back other then just to be rid of it.

I am going to use it for a month and see if it is a consistent thing. I was thinking maybe after it breaks in some the fluid inside would smooth out possibly. I will ride on it again tonight. I missed my ride today because I had a damaged fence from the storms and spent the morning doing a repair. So an indoor ride tonight seems like a good idea.
They shouldn't charge you if you return a defective product.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts