Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering buying either a Nashbar Touring frame or a Surly LHT.
The surly LHT has two sets of braze on's on the front and rear. The nashbar only has 1 Is it still possible to run fenders and racks, both front and rear, using the single eyelet on the Nashbar frame?
The Surly looks looks pretty sweet, but I don't have the extra 200+ right now to spend on it. This question with the braze on's is a major one for me though.

·
Premium Member
21,853 Posts
Use longer bolts and you can install pretty much anything.

mshamel said:
I am considering buying either a Nashbar Touring frame or a Surly LHT.
The surly LHT has two sets of braze on's on the front and rear. The nashbar only has 1 Is it still possible to run fenders and racks, both front and rear, using the single eyelet on the Nashbar frame?
The Surly looks looks pretty sweet, but I don't have the extra 200+ right now to spend on it. This question with the braze on's is a major one for me though.
Use zipties and you can install anything. Use duct tape and you can even install the kitchen sink fully plumbed.

As long as a bike has fork and dropout eyelets the number of eyelets doesn't matter.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
aluminum is real

undies said:
Does anyone have experience with the Nashbar touring frame? $180 is a great deal, but it's aluminum. How does it ride, etc.?

do a search, the topics been discussed a couple times. imho, if you throw on some 38c tires you won't notice much difference between steel/sl ride quality. that said, I just buit up an LHT after briefly considering a nashbar frame. I guess vanity rules the day.

·
Downhill Juggernaut
1,673 Posts
You can probably get longer screws with nuts. Bolt the fenders on one side of the eyelet, and the racks on the opposite side. Secure with a nut and you're done.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Any good hardware store

It's easy to double up the rack and fenders. The only PITA is routing the fender supports from outside to inside the rack. I ran mine inside because I only have a few pounds to carry. At some point I may just hang the fender from the rack and dump the supports.

Look for longer M5 screws in the stainless metric fasteners section. You have to get the length right, or the screw will protrude into the small cog, or in enough to snag the chain if it pops off (my beater did this once -- had to unscrew to put the chain back). Keep the old, short ones in your bottle mount sockets or somewhere so you can switch back if needed.

Somewhere maybe I've seen mount doublers - like two brazeons brazed together in an 8 shape. Could be overkill, but allow independent mounting/unmounting.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.