Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Failboat Captian
6,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
She's also now dead. And I'm pi$$ed. Not at her for being dead. I think that part is sad and really sucks. I'm pizzed at the media. There is something they aren't telling us about how she managed to hit her head hard enough to burst a blood vessel or whatever she did to her brain that killed her.

She was in Quebec in March, with a ski instructor on a beginner slope. Sorry, but the snow in march is not as hard as concrete. And when you have a simple fall and hit your head on the soft snow, you don't call ski patrol, get a sled ride to the bottom, and get offered an ambulance ride to the hospital.

What pisses me off is that this could have huge implications on the skiing industry, just because they wanted to help some actress save face. There will hundreds or thousands of people who otherwise would have tried skiing for the first time, who now think that you can take a simple fall, even while in a private lesson with an instructor on a warm day, and end up dead. It may sell a few helmets, but it'll keep more people off the hill than people that will buy helmets.

No. That doesn't happen. There's a crap ton of information being withheld.:mad: :mad:

I'm also a bit annoyed by how they are portraying her as this wonderful, loving wife (maybe she is), who, oh, by the way, hooked up with Liam Nieson(sp?) while she was married to someone else, and was on location shooting a movie with Nieson. But I'm less annoyed by this because that's just typical Hollywood.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
JohnnyTooBad said:
Sorry, but the snow in march is not as hard as concrete. And when you have a simple fall and hit your head on the soft snow, you don't call ski patrol, get a sled ride to the bottom, and get offered an ambulance ride to the hospital.
Sorry JTB, dunno where you live, but if they are in the freeze thaw cycle (day temps above freezing, night temps below), and they haven't had new snow in a while, the snow certainly CAN be hard as a rock. Sure was here in Reno (Mt. Rose) yesterday a.m. They are grooming in the evenings for the next day when the snow is still slush. Overnight it re-freezes and sets up like an iceberg... till about 10:00 a.m. the next day. And so on.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
JohnnyTooBad said:
It may sell a few helmets, but it'll keep more people off the hill than people that will buy helmets.
Fine with me. Do you like crowded slopes? But I didn't notice any drop in the number of skiers at Heavenly after Sonny Bono's death.

·
Failboat Captian
6,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
robwh9 said:
Fine with me. Do you like crowded slopes? But I didn't notice any drop in the number of skiers at Heavenly after Sonny Bono's death.
Terrible argument. More skiers=more ski areas. Fewer skier means fewer ski areas, smaller industry and higher prices. You like paying $1500 for skis?

·
Steaming piles of opinion
10,503 Posts
I don't know what snow conditions were like or what happened. First rumors I heard was that she tree'd out, but that seems to have not been confirmed.

But a solid pack and a straight backward fall is plenty to cause the sort of injury being described. Rare enough, as most folks decellerate with their glutes first, but it can happen in the odd circumstance. If it was icy, not all that hard to believe. My uncle very nearly died in much the same manner following a fall on an ice rink.

No point in blaming the media. It's only a story because it's someone those inside the bubble feel we should all know the name of and therefore care deeply about. The story is "FAME DEAD." You'll never see the graphic reconstruction shots as from a plane crash - it just isn't that sort of news.

Skiing won't feel a thing. They still ride horses, and that did in Superman.

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
husonfirst said:
You're getting too worked up.

The accident will probably have very little effect on the skiing industry.
Sonny Bono sure had a huge impact on the helmet industry tho. Used to be skiing with a helmet was for dweebs and posers. Now I'd venture to say it's the norm among regulars. Except the "too cool" (and they are dwindling) and complete newbs.

·
had it in the ear before
13,965 Posts
is she the next "Joker"?

·
Spicy Dumpling
9,721 Posts
I have a friend who was a high school math teacher. 2 years ago she was just standing at the base of the slope when a snowboarder fell and slid into her. It took her feet out from under her and she landed on the back of her head on the icy snow. She had severe brain damage and although she is recovered enough to function she no longer has the speech ability for teaching and talks in a halting manner with no emotion. She's lost her carreer and her formerly happy and bubbly personality. It's sad to see what happened to her.

I wear a helmet when I ride or whitewater kayak. If I skied I'd be wearing a helmet there as well. My friend still skies, with a helmet.

·
Registered
11,615 Posts
jsedlak said:
Was she wearing a helmet?

What a shame. I'm acutally a bit surprised that the resort doesn't mandate helmets for acceptance in a ski lesson. If resorts don't do it now, they should.

FWIW, if she had an underlying abnormality making her prone to brain bleeds (there are quite a few, such as abnormal vasculature structure) she was a ticking time bomb, unfortunately. If it was a subarachnoid bleed, those... can take you out in a hurry.

Awful for her family, but I tell you, when it's my "time" I hope I go in such a manner. Hopefully they'll eventually be able to take some comfort in that.

·
Premium Member
11,955 Posts
JohnnyTooBad said:
I'm also a bit annoyed by how they are portraying her as this wonderful, loving wife (maybe she is), who, oh, by the way, hooked up with Liam Nieson(sp?) while she was married to someone else, and was on location shooting a movie with Nieson. But I'm less annoyed by this because that's just typical Hollywood.:rolleyes:
they were husband & wife, moreon.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts