Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Premium Member
20,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did anyone else ride today?

I know a lot of RBRers commute by bike regularly but what about the others....

Did anyone ride that normally doesn't?

I rode in for the first time in a while and forgot what a good time it is...

My commute is 12 miles each way with 70% being on MUT's..

I snapped a couple of pics....

·
Registered
960 Posts
I didn't snap any pics...
But today makes twice this week...

I got a ride to Broadripple with the wife, then pulled out the Mt bike & rode 7 miles to downtown and I"ll be heading back north come 5 oclock.

·
Premium Member
10,106 Posts
Dave Hickey said:
Did anyone else ride today?

I know a lot of RBRers commute by bike regularly but what about the others....

My commute is 12 miles each way with 70% being on MUT's..

I snapped a couple of pics....

Rode three days this week, but not today.

I am a fair weather commuter. If it is raining, as it was this morning, I drive rather than ride the bike to work. I can deal with being wet on the commute home, but arriving at work wet and then having to deal with all of my wet bike clothes is a real pain.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
It's kind of ironic, but Bike to Work Week is the first week in about a month that DH and I didn't commute by bike at all. Between the crappy weather, the second job, and buying the new car, it just wasn't in the cards this week. Kudos to those who did ride this week!

Nice pics, Dave!

·
banned from the museum
6,755 Posts
Dave Hickey said:
I'm seriously thinking about getting back to commuting again...

As I said above, its 70% MUT and my ride time is 45 minutes vs drive time of 35 minutes..

That's kind of a no-brainer. Good for you. I also biked to work today, just like yesterday, and the day before, and the day before, and the day before........

·
Yo no fui.
8,486 Posts
I bike whenever it's not snowing and I'm just going to be in the office . . . whihc is most every day.

·
Premium Member
21,853 Posts
It was raining in DC but I would have to say there was an impressive turnout. Perhaps not as many as fair weather would have brought but lots and lots of riders (as in THOUSANDS of riders).

Traffic has gotten so bad around here (not to mention the price of gas) that the bike commuter population has exploded. We find the local MUT grid to be dangerous to ride in the afternoon any more and are sticking more and more to back roads.

I took lots of pics (and filled up a messenger bag with schwag) and will post a report in the Commuting/Touring forum this weekend.

·
Squirrel Hunter
3,854 Posts
Yes

Dave Hickey said:

Normally don't ride but did today for BTWD. It is rather refreshing although takes a bit more planning than the car as I normally wear a suit for work. In reality I only have a 3 mile commute so car vs. bike is not about the gas money or time as they are nearly equal.

One of the goals lower on my list this year is bike commute once a week. Got the first one out of the way so may become a bit more disciplined.

·
Rollin' Stones
2,641 Posts
I did yesterday, because I thought the national event was yesterday. I will again today and everyday that I can from here on in.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I did it 3 years ago...

and thought to myself: why can't I do it every Friday? So I have...mostly. Austin had about a dozen breakfast stations set up. For the first time they had one close to my work so I rode an extra 2 1/2 miles to go by...strength in numbers, right? My office building has about 60 people...guess what the participation was? A big fat ZERO! I went and posted on another community board of about 150,000 and guess what...no particpation. A lot of excuses...but that is nothing new. What being with gas prices going up and the constant griping & complaining I thought maybe people will change. Some years ago a friend shared with me...if nothing changes, nothing changes. Imagine that! So I have the best results when I keep my BIG FAT MOUTH SHUT and pedal my happy *** to work and back.

·
Registered
960 Posts
yep... I usually hate riding the Monon (or any MUT for that matter) but in the mornings here in Indy its not filled with the usual walkers, joggers, strollers, rollerbladers, etc... That will be happening on the ride back north...

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
fawill said:
and thought to myself: why can't I do it every Friday? So I have...mostly. Austin had about a dozen breakfast stations set up. For the first time they had one close to my work so I rode an extra 2 1/2 miles to go by...strength in numbers, right? My office building has about 60 people...guess what the participation was? A big fat ZERO! I went and posted on another community board of about 150,000 and guess what...no particpation. A lot of excuses...but that is nothing new. What being with gas prices going up and the constant griping & complaining I thought maybe people will change. Some years ago a friend shared with me...if nothing changes, nothing changes. Imagine that! So I have the best results when I keep my BIG FAT MOUTH SHUT and pedal my happy *** to work and back.
I risked life and limb and rode to Dell in RR from north Austin. Morning wasn't too bad. I'm fearful of the afternoon ride home though.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Dave - left for work at 5:30 so I didn't even know about bike to work day...but my bike is in my car....does that count?:)

Seriously, I am moving my office in July and one of the percs will be I can again start commuting by bike.

·
Premium Member
20,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
T-Doc said:
Dave - left for work at 5:30 so I didn't even know about bike to work day...but my bike is in my car....does that count?:)

Seriously, I am moving my office in July and one of the percs will be I can again start commuting by bike.
I moved my office last year and I picked the location because it was located near good riding areas....W're going to have to get together for a ride....

·
Registered
236 Posts
Didn't ride today, but rode Tuesday and Wednesday. The ride into work is sort of my way of waking up, and like someone else posted, I don't mind getting caught in the rain on the ride home but don't ride in if the drops are falling in the early AM. Hope to increase the numnber of days to 4 a week as long as the weather and work schedule cooperate.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.