Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

· Registered
66 Posts
Same place every two years. They will move it next year, probably out west. There may be a year "off" as there is talk of moving the US nationals inline with the Euro schedule, which would make them the first part of January 2010. Effectively skipping 2009, but that may end up not happening at all or happening only for the Elite men and women.

· Registered
43 Posts
Yes, it changes location every two years. Check their website kccrossnationals.com for info for this year. The dates are around the same time as last year. I think pre-reg is on Sept. 15th.

The rumors I have read is that in 2009(10) and 2010(11), nats will be in Bend, OR and be held in Jan. not Dec.

· Registered
150 Posts
KC, again... hmmmm

Lord Taipan said:
I thought they moved it around the country a bit? Is it really in the same place?
am I alone in thinking that it kind of sucks that "epic" Natz conditions are sort of a regular occurrence?

maybe this is part of the reason the actual start numbers were probably 2/3rds or less than registered. they can claim record numbers of entries, but in reality, the fields were much bigger (by causal inspectionl) in RI.

I assume Bend will be an improvement, and I loved the RI course. but I think holding Natz in KS when it's likely to be tundra is a bad idea. how about Cali? North Carolina, Georgia, Texas? I bet there are a lot of places that could host a great race in winter.

marc

· Registered
150 Posts
well...

PeanutButterBreath said:
What kind of conditions make for a great race in winter?
my personal preference is that it not be a blizzard or an ice rink, as it was the last 2 times in KC, and once in RI. other people may think that's a lot of fun.

what is not just my opinion is that the development of the elite men's race was dominated by a lot of crashing out, and they probably didn't have the toughest conditions of the weekend.

I've watch a lot of World Championships on video, and the only one I can recall being like KC was in the mid-90s when Johnson and Kelly medaled- Czech republic I think. There's no reason that the big race has to be held in a place likely to be snowed under.

if people in general really love it that's one thing. my gut reaction is that the location is actually suppressing the growth of the race. whether due the climate or the general appeal of KC, there were a lot of no-shows at the last nationals.

-marc

· Registered
150 Posts
2006 vs 2007

PeanutButterBreath said:
What kind of conditions make for a great race in winter?
taking a quick look at 3 of the largest categories. numbers as far as I can tell from the results.

KCCX-
actual racers vs registered riders, masters men
30-34 68 of 124
35-39 93 of 179
40-44 90 of 163

RI 2006
30-34 70 of 81
35-39 135 of 146
40-44 127 of 142

if those numbers are accurate, then that's about 55% of registered riders actually raced at KCCX, vs almost 90% in RI. RI was bigger in actual number of racers too (based on these events).

so, by 'great' I mean of more general appeal as well as a well-run event.
there are other things that go into making an event great- I was merely addressing the climate.

for whatever reason, almost half of the racers didn't show up to race.

· Number 2 on the course.
4,405 Posts
I'm not sure that last year's conditions in KS are typical or were expected. I know that here in UT the winters of 2006 and 2007 were like night and day.

As far as growing the race, I'm not sure that should be a priority. Its not a charity event. Reports made it sound like a zoo even at last years depressed levels, with dozens of races needed to accommodate everyone. You could take all the 2007 National Champions and field a decent sized race with them alone!

· Registered
2,167 Posts
If you want to have Natz someplace with good weather, it is very simple.
The basics:
Come up with a venue. Then come up with about $100,000( to start off). Then talk about 100 of your close friends into volunteering for a week of hard work for free. Then put in a bid to USA Cycling.

Then you just stand back and bask in the glory you will receive when it all comes together..all while your pockets fill up with dead presidents .

I mean, what are the chance of a freak storm rolling through? Or the venue pulling out at the last minute? Or a major sponsor not paying?
Answer: very good!

and what is the chance of you being the first promoter to make money putting on Natz?
Answer: not very good.

But think of the fun you'll have!

So...who wants to do it? WHO wants to put on the next Natz after KC?

· Registered
150 Posts
i'm not unappreciative..

the mayor said:
I thought it was going to Bend the next 2 years?

I get it, it's a lot of work and risk. I'm grateful people are able and willing to do it. I'm not a contender, so I won't be missed if I choose not to attend. But, I do have to weigh whether it's worth the time and money to return to KC if the conditions are likely to be basically un-raceable for me.

as for whether or not growing nationals is a good thing- it may not be, but I think limiting the races by CX category makes more sense than weeding people out with bad weather.

on the other hand, presumably large B and masters fields help the budget a lot...so maybe it does matter if a lot of pack-fill like me chose not to attend.

If KC was the only city to put in a reasonable bid, then I guess the point is moot...is that what you are saying?

· raging results nerd
925 Posts
the mayor said:
If you want to have Natz someplace with good weather, it is very simple.
The basics:
Come up with a venue. Then come up with about $100,000( to start off). Then talk about 100 of your close friends into volunteering for a week of hard work for free. Then put in a bid to USA Cycling.

Then you just stand back and bask in the glory you will receive when it all comes together..all while your pockets fill up with dead presidents .

I mean, what are the chance of a freak storm rolling through? Or the venue pulling out at the last minute? Or a major sponsor not paying?
Answer: very good!

and what is the chance of you being the first promoter to make money putting on Natz?
Answer: not very good.

But think of the fun you'll have!

Right, any Natz is better than no Natz. Race promotion is hard. Who knows how many places put in bids for 07-08 nationals?

Still though, the average December high in KC is 42 (avg low 25). I bet this is at least 10 degrees F lower than the average temps of any world cup venue -- maybe some world cup fans know which venue is the coldest? -- so the question "is KC too cold for nationals?" is valid, IMO.

Personally I say no, because I think cross needs more bike handling, not less. Look at how boring the grass crit Treviso Worlds were.

4,405 Posts
colinr said:
Still though, the average December high in KC is 42 (avg low 25). I bet this is at least 10 degrees F lower than the average temps of any world cup venue -- maybe some world cup fans know which venue is the coldest? -- so the question "is KC too cold for nationals?" is valid, IMO.
Sheesh. I grew up in the Bay Area and I don't think 42 degrees is low. :skep:

4,405 Posts
colinr said:
Wow, you're so tough! *swoon*

Or you could read the paragraph after what you quoted.
That is some virtuouso sarcasm! :thumbsup: :rolleyes: :nonod:

I read it. Could be relatively warm to relatively cold. Its CX.

Its also the National Chamipionships FFS. Why should it be yet another lowest common denominator farce that leaves us and our bloated sense of superiority at the back of the pack in world competition. Because it won't interest you otherwise?

· raging results nerd
925 Posts
colinr said:
so the question "is KC too cold for nationals?" is valid, IMO.

Personally I say no,
PeanutButterBreath said:
That is some virtuouso sarcasm! :thumbsup: :rolleyes: :nonod:

I read it. Could be relatively warm to relatively cold. Its CX.

Its also the National Chamipionships FFS. Why should it be yet another lowest common denominator farce that leaves us and our bloated sense of superiority at the back of the pack in world competition. Because it won't interest you otherwise?
Dude, you're agreeing with me. Which is why I was encouraging you to read all of my damn post.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.