Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I try to get only 'natural' stuff into me...no preservatives, additives, etc. Especially since I am working at improving myself and longevity... Then comes "what to eat while riding"?
I researched Hammer Products...it 'reads' great, no junk in them. I tried the Perpetum on a century, yechhh, but I drank it. I supplimented it with gels, as instructed. They warn against 'real food' and too many calories (cramping, etc.). If NOT Hammer, then what? Any other companies 'health conscious'?

·
waterproof*
41,745 Posts
Ruh-roh... here comes Yet Another Hammer Nutrition Flame War (YAHNFW for short).

Lots of companies in the food biz are health conscious, of course. Clif bars, for one example.

You ultimately have to find what works for you. Try lots of things; including solid foods and different brands of miracle nutrition. Plus, much depends on the specifics of the ride. I can ride well on bananas and water as long as it's a casual / steady pace. If I'm racing though, I stick to the liquid stuff and a gel flask. To each his own.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,573 Posts
"Natural" Foods.......?
I usually don't take any of that sugar crap. When I feel the need for something "natural", I look for Mastodon, or Cave Bear, Or even nuts and berry's. (Only if they have that extra added ingredient on them............bird crap)

·
Registered
21,832 Posts
Try food

Psychler said:
I try to get only 'natural' stuff into me...no preservatives, additives, etc. Especially since I am working at improving myself and longevity... Then comes "what to eat while riding"?
I researched Hammer Products...it 'reads' great, no junk in them. I tried the Perpetum on a century, yechhh, but I drank it. I supplimented it with gels, as instructed. They warn against 'real food' and too many calories (cramping, etc.). If NOT Hammer, then what? Any other companies 'health conscious'?
There's nothing magic about Hammer or any other "nutrition product." As others have noted, you can eat real food. Solid foods may be an issue if the ride is really intense with no easier periods when you can chomp some "all natural" granola bars or whatever. If that is the case, you can just make your own "magic potion" with salt and honey in water. It doesn't get any more natural than that. Also as others have noted, what works for one person may cause stomach upset or other intestinal issues for another. You have to try stuff and see what works.

BTW, there's precious little evidence that "natural" food has any advantages whatsoever over a prudent diet of what you can buy in the regular part of the grocery store.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.