Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I am starting to gain what I thought was reasonable good fitness lately, I was looking around the web for more challenges and stumbled across this workout program from a Navy Seal/military website.

- 100 pull-ups in as few sets as possible Run 1/4 mile in 90 seconds in between sets of pull-ups
- 200 pushups in as few sets as possible Run 1/4 mile in 90 seconds in between sets of push-ups
- 300 sit-ups in as few sets as possible Run 1/4 mile in 90 seconds in between sets of sit-ups

Anyone tried this training program? It is very tough and I cannot complete it, even with some cheating! You are supposed do as many pull-ups and push-ups as you can per session and use the sit-up session (2 minutes according to Stew Smith) as "rest" period.

I only managed to complete 50 pull-ups before giving up at 43.5 minutes of exercise session. Will try again next time. This is how:

14 pull-ups
60 push-ups
50 sit-ups
run
9 pull-ups
70 push-ups
50 sit-ups
run
7 pull-ups
70 push-ups (complete)
50 sit-ups
run
5 pull-ups
35 sit-ups
run
5 pull-ups
30 sit-ups
run
5 pull-ups
5 pull-ups (cheated - to get a nice round number 50 to complete session)
85 sit-ups (cheated - longer to complete cos don't want to run more!)
run (last run cos feel guilty for cheating)

Total: 50 pull-ups, 200 push-ups (improper), 300 sit-ups, 6 runs (often 1:35-40)

·
Registered
908 Posts
My best friend is a Navy Seal. I don't know if this is a workout he (as a Seal) really dies, but I can tell you the Navy had turned him in to one tough SOB. He was a semi-pro hockey player before...so he's always been tough. The Navy took it to a whole new level though.

·
Registered
739 Posts
I've been doing those kinds of workouts all winter (not to that volume, of course) and it really helped my sprint numbers.

Hit a 5s PR yesterday (1142w, during sprint work with a teammate) that stood since 2008 (at current 46 yrs old). I've only been riding 3 weeks this season so still developing aerobic efforts.

·
Registered
12,085 Posts
I've been doing those kinds of workouts all winter (not to that volume, of course) and it really helped my sprint numbers.

Hit a 5s PR yesterday (1142w, during sprint work with a teammate) that stood since 2008 (at current 46 yrs old). I've only been riding 3 weeks this season so still developing aerobic efforts.
How did you use this program?

Personally, I did 4 months of base (due to a reduction in riding for summer-fall 2012) with 2 month build. I'd use a core/flex once a week, or at least every other week. My workout wasn't very intense and I typically used it as a rest day.

Would a higher intensity program be better utilized prior to starting base?

With my current program, my sprinting and short burst power isn't very good. Threshold is much improved and I'm lickin' my lips for the TTs this summer.

·
Registered
739 Posts
I went to a general fitness class all winter ( like crossfit except it was periodized and tailored to endurance sports). Combination of all different types of exercises (cals, lifting, plyometrics) 3 days a week. All exercises directly or indirectly engage the core it seemed. I did it during last few months of cross season and prebase prebike this season. I think this stuff is too intense to do along with big bike hours though. Recovery would be difficult if biking a lot.

I nearly doubled some of the major lifts (squats, dead lift) and that extra power would have to go somewhere during sprint efforts. it hasn't helped my longer aerobic efforts but it hasn't dropped much from last season either. But it's great to do my long rides with little to no back pain.

I'm trying to maintain that core strength by doing some stuff post ride.

·
Registered
12,085 Posts
I went to a general fitness class all winter ( like crossfit except it was periodized and tailored to endurance sports). Combination of all different types of exercises (cals, lifting, plyometrics) 3 days a week. All exercises directly or indirectly engage the core it seemed. I did it during last few months of cross season and prebase prebike this season. I think this stuff is too intense to do along with big bike hours though. Recovery would be difficult if biking a lot.

I nearly doubled some of the major lifts (squats, dead lift) and that extra power would have to go somewhere during sprint efforts. it hasn't helped my longer aerobic efforts but it hasn't dropped much from last season either. But it's great to do my long rides with little to no back pain.

I'm trying to maintain that core strength by doing some stuff post ride.
Cool. I might hafta give that a try after the racing season is over. Not sure if I'll do another 4 month base again. Hopefully I can ride enough this year to not require it.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Cool. I might hafta give that a try after the racing season is over. Not sure if I'll do another 4 month base again. Hopefully I can ride enough this year to not require it.
I've had discussions with teammates and other better riders (better than me) and it seems that most people can only "train" for so long per year. My limit seems to be around 9 months of good volume training (actually, more like 6, then it takes good planning to get the other 3), so what to do with the remaining 3?? So I thought it was a good idea to go to this class. A few of my teammates and other local endurance people were going as well.

Bottom line, it doesn't replace biking, but it's great activity to stick in the off season since it gives a mental break and seems to repair the body from some of the ill effects of large saddle time. I think it's great inbetween cross season and before base training (mid-December through February). But you still have to count backwards and plan your base, build, and peak for when you want to be bike-fast. I'm targeting our midsummer local crit series, then try to carry that fitness into cross season.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.