Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 100 Posts

·
cyclist
7,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As discussed in brief earlier ( http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?t=51546 ) we are looking for a new name to better reflect what this forum is all about.

Now, I know there will be resistance to change, but the reasons to change are overwhelming. Non-Cycling Discussions does not accurately state what this forum is about. It describes what this forum isn't about, and even that is not accurate.

Like the Passion forum on Mtbr.com, this forum is about both non-cycling and cycling topics/issues/news, but even the non-cycling stuff is from a cyclist's point of view.

So far, we have 3 suggestions on the new name for NCD:

1.) Passion
2.) Cycling Life
3.) Lifestyle

Other suggestions have pointed out the "social" aspect of this forum.

Any other suggestions? Thoughts? Input?

Once renamed, we'll bring NCD out of the "basement" and place it near the top of the forum list.

Thanks for your feedback.

-g

·
Strained coccyx etc etc
21,050 Posts
i'm for "passion".

·
Opus was just napping
21,269 Posts
We could merge a bit of all three and call it...

The Passion of the Cycling Life.

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
how about M& M?

meanderings and musings

or M cubed Meanderings and musings by moreons

·
Life Coach
2,523 Posts
Feels like we only need to change it if there's going to be an actual "Non-Cycling Discussions" forum wherein all cycling related content is prohibited. I mean, have the admins and moderators been getting a bunch of angry letters from confused members--outraged and befuddled souls unable to stomach the appearance of bike talk in a clearly labled "non-cycling" forum?

I'm not resisting change, mind you, I'm just questioning whether "Passion," "Lifestyle," or "Cycling Life" are going to be able to better capture the strange amalgamation of bike talk, coffee procurement, foot fetishism, tattoo advice, and the periodic dressing of the J's that go on here. Because really, as much as I love them both, gambling on when a strange stranger will finally change his shirt hardly seems connected to cycling.

If it must be changed, I say change it to NCD--regulars will know what it's about and those who wander in to see will soon find out.

·
Resident Dutchbag
11,864 Posts
I like "passion", it sounds like cheap ladies' deodorant. :D

·
Strained coccyx etc etc
21,050 Posts
Val_Garou said:
Feels like we only need to change it if there's going to be an actual "Non-Cycling Discussions" forum wherein all cycling related content is prohibited. I mean, have the admins and moderators been getting a bunch of angry letters from confused members--outraged and befuddled souls unable to stomach the appearance of bike talk in a clearly labled "non-cycling" forum?

I'm not resisting change, mind you, I'm just questioning whether "Passion," "Lifestyle," or "Cycling Life" are going to be able to better capture the strange amalgamation of bike talk, coffee procurement, foot fetishism, tattoo advice, and the periodic dressing of the J's that go on here. Because really, as much as I love them both, gambling on when a strange stranger will finally change his shirt hardly seems connected to cycling.

If it must be changed, I say change it to NCD--regulars will know what it's about and those who wander in to see will soon find out.
pure fakking poetry, baby...poetry.

·
cyclist
7,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Val_Garou said:

A big part of changing the name, is for the "non-regulars". That's the problem. People who don't know, would see "Non-Cycling Discussions" and not care to read off topic stuff, when in fact, there is much in here that IS cycling related (and/or from a cyclists point of view).

And to be sure, J's could still talk ink, football discussions, motorcycles, movies....etc...would all still be good.

This really DOES work well on Mtbr, which has both a Passion forum and a General forum. Sure, sometimes the same topic is discussed in both, but almost always has different responses/readers/posters.

-g

(NNCD? Not necessarily cycling discussions? Nah.....)

·
midnight melon mounter
6,621 Posts
Bingo!

Dave Hickey said:
How about the RBR Diner..

A place were people can chat about what ever crosses their minds.....
Dave's suggestion is great. You can ride to a diner and have some pie. Or potato pancakes.

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
How About GUD

pronounced GOOD

Gossip and Useless Drivel

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
22,021 Posts
Much todo about nothing......

That could either be applied to this thread.....

the idea of needing to change the name......

or the board itself somedays.

Len

·
GIMME MY BIKE!
7,786 Posts
I'm not hot on any of the choices, but isn't this a brand of prophylactic?

3.) Lifestyle

How about just "Social" or something? Call it what it is, you know. Nothing like keeping it simple. Edit: I like "RBR Diner", too. Captures it well, I think.

If you don't call it what it is, people will most likely complain and say "All those yahoos talk about is everyday mundane stuff. I mean, this is the CYCLING LIFESTYLE board, and they don't talk about cycling at all."

Of course, people will complain no matter what you do. That's the fun part about being in a position of power. Everything is futile anyway.

1 - 20 of 100 Posts