Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday morning a riding buddy and I were on the Eisenbahn trail In SE Wis. This is a new rails to trails trail that runs parallel to a 4 lane county highway.

We were heading south on the trail and about 150 feet after a road crossing we both did a "What the [email protected]#$ is that noise...." This was not a normal traffic noise. Looking over our shoulders we saw a car coming down the trail pretty fast. About 50 feet from us the car hit the berm running along the trail and the car then began to tumble. Based looking on in the grass we figure he went over 4 times from the "hole no tracks...another hole...no tracks... another hole pattern". The tumbling the car overtook us and came to rest about 25 feet in front of us.

My buddy looked in the car while I hopped the fence between the train and the road to flag someone down. Some one had called 911 and police and rescue was on the way.

The driver fell out of the car and asked "hey did I just flip my car..." he ended in the back hatch of his Honda. Was not wearing a seatbelt.

The kid in the car was obviously drunk. He told the sheriff deputy 'I been drinking pretty much all night."

This is possibly one of the wildest things I have ever seen happen. This car was flipping and rolling not more than 15 feet over my right shoulder. I really have no idea how we did not get hit. Not ever with bits of Honda shrapnel.

We alway figure that the bike paths are safe. :(.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21 Posts
Jeus, I hate how they always live.

But my favorite thing about those kinda moments is the brain fart that comes with them. I usually just think "holy crap" in my mind, can't say anything or move, and just wait for the bad stuff to be over with. For some reason i just love that moment, like the last time i knew i was going to crash.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
941 Posts
Mornings suck. .

MarkG2 said:
Yesterday morning a riding buddy and I were on the Eisenbahn trail In SE Wis. This is a new rails to trails trail that runs parallel to a 4 lane county highway.
(.
IMO for cycling. There are quite a number of drunks on the road up through 8am or so. This is one reason I only ride in the afternoon time frame.
 

·
RoadBikeReview's Member
Joined
·
5,513 Posts
BikePUNX said:
Jeus, I hate how they always live.

But my favorite thing about those kinda moments is the brain fart that comes with them. I usually just think "holy crap" in my mind, can't say anything or move, and just wait for the bad stuff to be over with. For some reason i just love that moment, like the last time i knew i was going to crash.
I'm never going on a bikeride with you :p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,964 Posts
I just got back from a club ride. Part of the coversation was about a DUI accident years ago that hit the woman's husband and another man. One broken back, the other hit by the first's flying bike and had arm injuries. It happened in the afternoon, a golf club worker getting off work and spending time in the club house got out on the road when the club ride was underway. As a long time recovering alcoholic, I know drunks don't tell time well.

Remember May 17 and the Rides of Silence nationwide to remember the biking dead and injured. Check out www.rideofsilence.org. I'm organizing our first one here. They are just reminders of the hurt and dead and that we are on the roadways. Start one in your town, phone the news media, get some publicity. Can't hurt.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,196 Posts
"Let me retract that statement"

"I was not drinking, I had taken some ambien and some sort of prescription medication for stomach flu." "I don't remember anything that happened but i do remember taking those pills before I started driving."
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23 Posts
My boyfriends parents are avid cyclist in Trinidad. They have a group ride every sunday that is police-supported. One driver decided that the police closing down the intersection didn't apply to him and went past the motorcycle cop and hit several riders about 3-4 back from his mom. The cops had to pull cyclist off of the guys car and we're pretty sure someof them would have pulled the guy out and hurt him pretty bad. Luckily everyone survived the crash but there were quite a few injuries.
 

·
Alien Musician
Joined
·
4,542 Posts
I've seen drivers riding on MUT trails and ponder how they can mistake it..

I was riding on one and heading in the opposite direction is a guy who must
be pushing 80 driving a very old looking decrepit sedan. I got out of the way
and let him go trundling past.

I saw him get to a point where the trail intersected with a road and the driver
wisely took the road instead of continuing on the trail.

Weird. The guy honestly didn't seen to understand he was on a trail system.
 

·
Cannot bench own weight
Joined
·
4,298 Posts
Lone Gunman said:
"I was not drinking, I had taken some ambien and some sort of prescription medication for stomach flu." "I don't remember anything that happened but i do remember taking those pills before I started driving."
Not surprising that a Congressman can't take responsibility for his actions...
 

·
Shirtcocker
Joined
·
60,886 Posts
Einstruzende said:
Not surprising that a Congressman can't take responsibility for his actions...
...people on ludes should not drive. :cool:
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
662 Posts
KATZRKOL said:
IMO for cycling. There are quite a number of drunks on the road up through 8am or so. This is one reason I only ride in the afternoon time frame.
I don't get your point. Bars close at, let us say 12-2am, depending on location.
Liquor stores close at 10pm -12 am. I would think they are sleeping it off at 8am.
IMO, riding at 5-7 am is very safe. In the afternoon, everyone is up, and lets get an insurance company mathematican to calculate the percentage of
idiots/ drunks on the road at that hour. Only thing with early morning riding is that people
don't expect to see cyclists that early, so practice caution and don't make any sudden moves.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
172 Posts
Road cyclist said:
I don't get your point. Bars close at, let us say 12-2am, depending on location.
Liquor stores close at 10pm -12 am. I would think they are sleeping it off at 8am.
IMO, riding at 5-7 am is very safe. In the afternoon, everyone is up, and lets get an insurance company mathematican to calculate the percentage of
idiots/ drunks on the road at that hour. Only thing with early morning riding is that people
don't expect to see cyclists that early, so practice caution and don't make any sudden moves.
Im pretty sure their would be a large number of people out driving around 5-7 in the morning after a big nite the nite before. Who hasn't pulled an all nighter at a friends place whilst drinking? Im pretty sure if people are stupid enought to drink drive, they wouldn't limit the times in which they did drink. Anytime you ride is dangerous whether is drink drivers or rush hour traffic in the arvos.
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top