Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Loves to Suffer
998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There were 2 of them eating something (later found it was an opossum) as I approached at a high rate of speed. I thought "they will move" and them "Uh oh, they better move!" At the very last second they took flight. The closest one glided about 1 foot in front of my front tire for about 30 yards before veering off. I didn't notice if I benefited from his draft. :D
Anyway, those things are pretty darn BIG.

What interesting things have you hit on the road, or neary hit?

·
Lemur-ing
18,987 Posts
I nearly got T-Boned by a car today.

I usually try and chase the birds away when they are in front. Same goes for cats etc but I usually also slow down a little just in case.

·
Registered
738 Posts
I spotted a "dog" of sorts in the woods while riding MTB. It took off running up the trail and out of instinct I took off after it. After this dog ran across the creek barley touching the water and literally flew up a very steep 20 ft. high embankment I realized it was no ordinary house dog...it was a coyote.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
Zipp0 said:
There were 2 of them eating something (later found it was an opossum) as I approached at a high rate of speed. I thought "they will move" and them "Uh oh, they better move!" At the very last second they took flight. The closest one glided about 1 foot in front of my front tire for about 30 yards before veering off. I didn't notice if I benefited from his draft. :D
Anyway, those things are pretty darn BIG.

What interesting things have you hit on the road, or neary hit?
You certainly win today's prize for interesting wildlife encounters. I had a close encounter with a wild turkey a few years ago, neither of us seeing the other until I was a only few feet away. It took off like a rocket, nearly straight up, making a tremendous noise with those big wings. It was impressive.

·
waterproof*
41,611 Posts
if this thread were in the lounge it would be more fun.

squirrels, plural, on several occasions. birds a few times, ranging from a wisp of feathers brushing, to one big-ass crow that I didn't stop to check on but I might've severed his wing with my spokes... stupid bird, I hate crows and grackles anyway. a snake once, poor little guy I didn't mean to hit him but was going fast and thought he was a stick and couldn't change my line.

bugs too numerous to count. effing gnats.

never hit a dog though I nearly got a cat last night. stupid cat, get outta the road.

oh yeah, a possum one time mtb'ing. didn't actually hit it but scared the bejesus out of both of us. those dudes have impressive teeth and agility.

·
Low rep power
6,264 Posts
Ate my first bug of the season this morning on my way to work

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
I've never hit anything. My closest encounter was when I almost ran over a large rattlesnake that was crossing the road while I was descending. I thought it was a tree branch and gently swerved to the right to avoid it and looked down and saw that it was a rattler. Good thing I swerved right. I almost hit a turkey vulture taking flight in front of me. It was eating something laying in the road, They are slow to take off. The worst thing is they defend themselves by chucking up on you.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Golden eagle

I've had plenty of near misses with deer, bunny-hopped over snakes and hit prairie dogs.

One of my most interesting wildlife encounters was on my MTB. I was riding a trail uphill, just coming to the top of a "hogsback" ridge (in Colorado). Just as I crested the ridge, a huge Golden Eagle also crested it, coming from the other direction. It was flying low to the ground, following the contour and probably hoping to ambush a rabbit or prairie dog in the valley on the other side. So when I came to the top of the ridge it was maybe five feet in front of me, on a collision course at head level. They are very agile flyers, so it turned its wings and changed course in an instant. Not sure which of us was the most surprised, but I got a great close-up look at a pretty uncommon bird.

·
Registered
638 Posts
One time I was JRA and a deer ran into me. I flipped over the bars and landed on my shoulder breaking my collar bone. I'm blind in my left eye and I never actually saw the deer, a passing motorist coming from behind saw the whole thing happen and stopped and called 911 to get help.

I've had close calls with vultures on a few occasions. They usually sit there eating and usually only move when you get pretty close to them.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I was square in the chest by a bird, a robin, I think, while I was doing about 35 mph on a slight downhill...it felt like i got shot, and scared the absolute @#$2 out of me. funny thread - hopefully it keeps going.

apologies to those who may have been hurt badly by a hit & run animal encounter...

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
"apparently"?

waldo425 said:
Apparently I almost got hit by my ex-girlfriend the other day.
c'mon, you have to tell us more of the story.

0 Posts
Buzzards ... you're lucky they didn't upchuck on you.

They do that to lighten the load, and to deter harassers such as cyclists, when frightened into flight.

I've seen it happen ... not a pretty sight. After dining on carrion ... well, I don't want to get too descriptive. And ... the smell. I wouldn't want to be the target of such a load.

·
Frog Whisperer
40,922 Posts
a fawn and momma jumped out onto the road in front of me one day...I followed on their tails ...about a foot back until the baby skidded on the asphalt and I ALMOST hit it.......I won't do that again...

another day, I was clipping along on my fixed at about 20 mph starring at my shadow on the ground...doh..... not a good plan. I looked up and there in front of me were 2 doe...talk about a surprised look on their faces..!

I could literally smell the alfalfa on them I was so close

·
Master debator.
8,777 Posts
Hmmm... I hit a turkey on the mountain bike, it was a young hen, following it's mother with a few others when I stormed around a sharp left and down a small hill. It ran right in front of me and I killed it. I went back as it was close to the parking lot, took it home and cleaned it and put it on the grill with some liquid smoke and Lawry's on it. It was about the size of a chicken, and fairly good eating. (I'm not kidding!)
On a group ride a friend wasn't paying attention, hit a dead raccoon, and went over a guard rail and down a rocky slope. He was fairly broken up, collar bone and a bone in his hand and numerous scrapes.
On another ride, we scared up a hawk. It had a dead squirrel that it took off with, and then though better of it and dropped it on the third guy in. He didn't crash, but it scared the crap out of him...
Many years ago my gf and I were pedaling up a steep hill, and we came across a woodchuck that must have just gotten run over by a car. We stopped, and I got a large rock and try to perform a coup de grace with it. Turns out the rock was sandstone, and it mostly just broke apart when I whacked the woodchuck. This resulted in the woodchuck bleeding even more out of it's ears, and then it started bellering like a crying baby. Naturally my gf is on the side of the road screaming at me to hurry up and kill it, hysterically. Of course a car with a bunch of young guys came past, just as I stomped the poor thing with the heel of my new Northwave shoe. I can imagine what they must have been thinking. Anyway that did it and we continued on our merry way.

·
vexatious enigma
4,696 Posts
JCavilia said:
c'mon, you have to tell us more of the story.
It's really just an interesting hook instead of an interesting story. I don't think she was gunning for me (shes not the on that hates me --- yet.) She came up to me later and said that it was a close one. I have no idea since I didn't see the danger at all. I have been known to cut it pretty close though thinking it was safe.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Funny

Glad to hear you made use of the turkey -- I'd have done the same thing.

Not bike related, but one time a fishing buddy of mine was driving his boat across the lake at a good speed, when a bass about 4 pounds jumped in front of the boat and speared him right in the middle of his chest. Knocked the wind out of him and almost knocked him overboard. The stunned fish was laying on the floor of the boat, and found its way into a frying pan in short order.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts