Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After riding for 2 hours my neck starts to hurt, probably from having it cocked back against my back. You know what I'm talking about when you're in the hoods and your neck is always pushed back. I was wondering is there anyway to get around this, or is it something that you just have to live with?

·
Registered
310 Posts
It gets better. The more your back/neck learn to stretch and get stronger, it will eventually go away. Pushups and weights targeting your traps will also help. If it doesn't eventually sort itself out, then you may have a reach/drop problem that can be fixed with a proper fitting.

cheers

·
classiquesklassieker
3,106 Posts
texass4 said:
It gets better. The more your back/neck learn to stretch and get stronger, it will eventually go away. Pushups and weights targeting your traps will also help. If it doesn't eventually sort itself out, then you may have a reach/drop problem that can be fixed with a proper fitting.

cheers
Well, often it is due to poor fitting handlebar. If your handlebar is too narrow or too wide, your shoulders tend to form an unnatural and uncomfortable pose, which can manifest itself as neck pain.

·
Moderatus Puisne
15,882 Posts
fit is important. Too long / low of a stem can cause a lot of strain.

Also, no reason not to sit up more. The tops work just fine for the endurance part of most training.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Your position needs to allow your neck and head to be aligned neutrally. Your head should not be "tilted" back or dropping down. When in the drops, look up with yor eyes not by lifting your head more. Look for some stretches. They are hard to describe, but easy if someone shows you.
I've spent weeks off the bike due to neck pain before. It's hasn't occured in years since I got a frame with a shorter top tube. (Except for the timeI rented a jack hammer for a day, but that's a different story)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts