Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been riding a decent hybrid for a couple of years and teaching a local spinning class.

I'm ready to move into a more serious road bike and start training to run a century every once in a while...

I'm totally new to road bikes and have no relationship with an LBS. Can anyone recommend an LBS and specific contact there to help me pick out a first road bike and get as close to a perfect fit as possible? I'm 40+ and have some lower back issues, so I want to make sure I start with a good fit and the right bike.

Thanks for any suggestions...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Creakyknees said:
Hi Stewart,

What general area of town?

Also cruise the "sticky" threads at the top of the Beginner forum, lots of good bike buying tips there.

Good luck, and enjoy.

Any area of town, really. I'm in the northwest, but I don't mind driving to get the best fit.

Thanks for the suggestion on the stickies - it was reading them that actually drove me to make this post in the Texas forum looking for the best fit, as that seemed to be stressed!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
b24fsb said:
I would recomend Sun & Ski Sports thats located at 6100 westheimer. ask for Brad or Jason, both those guys know there bikes and know how to fit and there service is really good
Thanks...! I bought my hybrid at Sun and Ski at Memorial City Mall a few years ago - had a very positive experience, overall.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Bicycle World and Fitness on Dairy Ashford between I10 and Westheimer. Ask for Ryan, can't be beat. They spent literally 15-20 hours with me fitting me to bikes BEFORE I ever bought one...then when I thought I found the one I liked, they let me ride it for 30 miles as part of a group ride with no commitment. During the entire process, they probably spent 25-30 hours with me in the shop tweaking everything, swapping bars, stems, etc. etc. You won't get that from a Bike Barn or Sun N Ski (Suck N Ski as some refer to them).....My only experience with them was, this one looks like it would fit - oh yeah, and it just happens to be most expensive bike you have and is NO WHERE near what would fit me....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
MCF said:
Bicycle World and Fitness on Dairy Ashford between I10 and Westheimer. Ask for Ryan, can't be beat. They spent literally 15-20 hours with me fitting me to bikes BEFORE I ever bought one...then when I thought I found the one I liked, they let me ride it for 30 miles as part of a group ride with no commitment. During the entire process, they probably spent 25-30 hours with me in the shop tweaking everything, swapping bars, stems, etc. etc. You won't get that from a Bike Barn or Sun N Ski (Suck N Ski as some refer to them).....My only experience with them was, this one looks like it would fit - oh yeah, and it just happens to be most expensive bike you have and is NO WHERE near what would fit me....
Wow! Worth a look-see for sure! Thanks for the tip...

·
Registered
143 Posts
MCF said:
+1 on Bicycle World and Fitness

Bought my bike from those guys and my experience basically mirrors MCF. Chris (the owner) is great to work with and Ryan helped me fit my bike. I've also have gone bike after awhile to check my fit and they'll do that as well.

Service is great, now and then they hold demo days, and they carry some great bikes.

Have fun and enjoy!

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Yep..Ryan and Chris are top notch...I was having an issue with stock 25C tires touching off on fork so they would have swapped to 23C at no charge, but I changed wheels and tires anyway and they gave me credit for stock wheels and no charge for new tires. They also will continue to fit you for up to six months at no charge after purchase. They also have great rides on Saturday morning ranging from 25 miles to 60+ miles and usually have coffee and bagels after rides....I didn't think I would want coffee after riding 60 miles in 90deg F heat, but Einsteins tastes great after a long ride. Just remember, any LBS is going to cost more than internet, but BWF service far outweighs the extra cost...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.