Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all so I am at a crossroads....I have been cycling for almost 5 years and am just about ready to quit clipless pedals all together. I have a fallen arch on my right foot and have seen probably the top 3-4 fitters in the greater LA area and they have all come up short. I understand the anatomy and how forefoot varus works and this is NOT a varus issue. When sitting at my desk my right toes point about 20-25 degrees out and its worse when i ride.

Here is my question before I say screw it to clipping in.......is there anyway with a pedal extender to achieve a 25-30 degree heel in turn without resorting to a blow torch and hammer.

I have looked into speedplay X2 (on speedplay zeros now) but the claims of additional rotation over the zeros looks like bad marketing or math because the cleats are identical as far as the range of motion the spindle can possibly rotate within. The only difference is one can be limited.

HELP!!!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
you have it in reverse....x series has no adjustment capacity and zeros have a decent amount but its not even close to what I need. I need about 10 degrees of inward rotation more than zeroes have (which is what I have now).

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You need pedal extenders, which move your feet further out from the cranks thereby allowing your heels to angle in and your toes out more... Kneesaver.net

Already done on the right foot that has the fallen arch....I also already have the proper varus wedges and insoles.....I really need cleat advice for an extreme rotation.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
you have it in reverse....x series has no adjustment capacity and zeros have a decent amount but its not even close to what I need. I need about 10 degrees of inward rotation more than zeroes have (which is what I have now).
I can never keep those 2 straight, and I ride the ones with the adjustable float cleat.

The problem with being able to rotate your heels in is that they'll hit the chainstays.

·
Registered
201 Posts
You can alter Zero cleats to allow for more float(greater range). Simply cut/shave the travel stop back on the inboard float side. I can't remember how much you can get, but 10deg may not be impossible.

·
Registered
79 Posts
How are you not hitting the chainstay with your foot?

I'd look into mounting the cleat at an angle that will allow you to use it. Maybe somebody can modify a shoe so you can do that. I don't recall how many degrees of rotation my X-series pedals allowed but I don't think I've ever had pedals with more float than those.

·
Premium Member
5,457 Posts
Eggbeaters offer 20 degrees of float.
I'll ship you my worn out 10-year-old cleats for free, I'm pretty sure I have 30* of float with those :)
That's release angle (15° or 20°)

the actual float is 6°

·
Premium Member
5,457 Posts
Hey all so I am at a crossroads....I have been cycling for almost 5 years and am just about ready to quit clipless pedals all together. I have a fallen arch on my right foot and have seen probably the top 3-4 fitters in the greater LA area and they have all come up short. I understand the anatomy and how forefoot varus works and this is NOT a varus issue. When sitting at my desk my right toes point about 20-25 degrees out and its worse when i ride.

Here is my question before I say screw it to clipping in.......is there anyway with a pedal extender to achieve a 25-30 degree heel in turn without resorting to a blow torch and hammer.

I have looked into speedplay X2 (on speedplay zeros now) but the claims of additional rotation over the zeros looks like bad marketing or math because the cleats are identical as far as the range of motion the spindle can possibly rotate within. The only difference is one can be limited.

HELP!!!
So... one of your feet is flat.....

Our Staff - Los Angeles, CA Foot Doctor (maybe Dr. Rosenthal can help... but it's something you'll have to call and ask first, prior to the appointment.

ONe of my friends has flat feet. Though he's been fine using his orthotics and his Speedplay X pedals.

·
Steaming piles of opinion
10,503 Posts
This is just random blathering... Feel free to ignore.

1) There is the problem of heel strike on chainstays, so in a sense, your float doesn't matter. Longer spindles or extenders will address that.
2) I'm guessing that the real issue is less needing that much float, but instead changing where it's active - that is, the cleat needs to be crooked on the shoe. One path to consider: The aluminum extender base plates, with custom drillings added for the cleat mount. Not a stock item, but might be relatively easy for a person with the right skills and tools to sort out.
3) I wonder what happens if you put a left cleat on a right pedal / shoe...

·
Premium Member
5,457 Posts
3) I wonder what happens if you put a left cleat on a right pedal / shoe...
you can't clip in. THe spindle is in the way. This is why on the zero, there is a cutout on the metal part of the cleat

·
Steaming piles of opinion
10,503 Posts
you can't clip in. THe spindle is in the way. This is why on the zero, there is a cutout on the metal part of the cleat
Think about that a little more... They bolt up with four bolts that are equally spaced. It's possible to put the cleats on backwards, which is why they are labeled left and right. The problem is less about clipping in, than if they will release to the inside (now outside.)

·
Premium Member
5,457 Posts
Think about that a little more... They bolt up with four bolts that are equally spaced. It's possible to put the cleats on backwards, which is why they are labeled left and right. The problem is less about clipping in, than if they will release to the inside (now outside.)
I tried it physically on my bike, which I use Speedplay Zeros, if you don't believe me... go buy a set of zeros and report back

...and they do already release to the inside. It takes a lot more force, and limits the crank arm position where you can release it.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I ended up going with some motion control insoles from new balance designed specifically to counter over pronation in runners. As far as I know they are the only ones that make it as just an insole but you can buy motion control running shoes from nearly all the major brands. What they do is to raise the footbed under the ball of the foot to give lift to the toes and start making the muscles rebuild some form. Meanwhile the heal cup supports proper stabilization of the ankle joint

So far so good, I was able to limit my float to within speedplay zero range with a 20mm spacer on the pedal axle.

I have to say I am kind of shocked that no one makes a cycling specific motion control arch designed to help people who over pronate due to a fallen arch. Its one of the more common foot problems in society and yet basic arch support is all we get for cycling shoes.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.