Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am riding a 35 mile packed dirt road "classic" race next weekend and want to use my road bike instead of the cross bike. Can anyone recommend a 25mm road tire with good tread that could fit my road bike with standard brakes and fairly narrow clearances front and back?

Maybe this is asking too much.

Thanks.

·
Banned
6,360 Posts
Might be out of luck, and it might be just as well...

I haven't found anything smaller than a (labelled) 32mm with enough tread to make a difference, and even at that size, tire volume is a problem.. One of the reasons I bought an Atlantis was so I'd have room for tires big enough to use on the gravel and dirt roads around here (it's a lot of fun, by the way).
Unless you're pretty light and the roads are better than ours, though, this could be a blessing in disguise. When I try to go off road with tires anywhere near that skinny, i seem to destroy them about 25 percent of the time. I just cut the sidewall last night on a brand new 35mm Pasela TG. A sharp rock nicked the cord, and over about five miles it just unraveled into a bulging cut about three inches long. The tire's toast.

·
la dolce vita
2,316 Posts
I've run Ritchey Speed Max's on a road bike without any problem. They are available (I think) in 28's, 30's and 32's. They are basically cycle cross tires so they are perfect for the dirt.

·
Registered
6,387 Posts
Packed dirt?

Suddha said:
I am riding a 35 mile packed dirt road "classic" race next weekend and want to use my road bike instead of the cross bike. Can anyone recommend a 25mm road tire with good tread that could fit my road bike with standard brakes and fairly narrow clearances front and back?

Maybe this is asking too much.

Thanks.
If it is really packed dirt, just ride the road tires. It's all good.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Michelin Pro Race size 25 seems to be larger than most. The key is that they have a lot of air volume, which lets you run a lower tire pressure, which can really help with traction. They're "only" rated up to 110 psi and I frequently run them at 80-90 even though I'm heavy. I think you'd find that would give you significantly better traction on dirt compared with normal size 23s pumped up to 120.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Conti Contact 28mm

I picked up some 28mm Conti Contacts, which fit my Bianchi fine. Will be perfect. Thanks for all the input.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts