Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
looking for a good quality, tray style, 4 bikes, 2" hitch (SUV-Class II), light weight.

This rack will be used for both MTB and road bikes. It will also not be left on the car permanently so we would like it to be lightweight. I'm aware that the Thule and Yakima tray racks have 4-bike options, but iirc, both are steel and weigh upwards of 60-75lbs with the 4 bike extensions.

What are some good quality aluminum racks that can handle some heavy MTB's and expensive road bikes?

·
Registered
266 Posts
I passed on both the thule and Yakima (T2 and holdup). Nice racks, but there are better ones out there IMO.

Check out the Kuat NV. Pretty amazing rack. Also look at the 1UpUSA rack. Very nice, pricey, but light and high quality. There are large threads over at mtbr.com in the car and bike section discussing both racks with pics and comparisons.

All 4 (yak/thule/kuat/1Up) have the mounting style I prefer (via wheels) which allows for almost any bike (700/650b/26"/29er/kids) with any axle system to be secured.

Good luck.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
A roof rack might be a better option, since most lightweight rear racks only accommodate 2-3 bikes and a tray style 4 bike hitch mount is going to be heavy.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
pcs2 said:
I passed on both the thule and Yakima (T2 and holdup). Nice racks, but there are better ones out there IMO.

Check out the Kuat NV. Pretty amazing rack. Also look at the 1UpUSA rack. Very nice, pricey, but light and high quality. There are large threads over at mtbr.com in the car and bike section discussing both racks with pics and comparisons.

All 4 (yak/thule/kuat/1Up) have the mounting style I prefer (via wheels) which allows for almost any bike (700/650b/26"/29er/kids) with any axle system to be secured.

Good luck.
The Kuat doesn't look like the 2 bike add-on is available yet, so it is currently only a 2 bike system and the website doesn't provide a weight.

The 1UpUSA looks nice and relatively light, but will only handle up to 3 bikes with the add-ons and each add-on is 16 lbs (32 lbs just for the add-ons), so you are probably looking at at least 50 lbs for the complete system.

·
n00bsauce
13,507 Posts
Take a look at the Saris Cycle On. Make sure your hitch will be able to handle a four bike rack. Saris says you need a Class III for their Cycle On three or four bike hitch. Don't see a weight for the rack.

·
Registered
266 Posts
krisdrum said:
The Kuat doesn't look like the 2 bike add-on is available yet, so it is currently only a 2 bike system and the website doesn't provide a weight.

The 1UpUSA looks nice and relatively light, but will only handle up to 3 bikes with the add-ons and each add-on is 16 lbs (32 lbs just for the add-ons), so you are probably looking at at least 50 lbs for the complete system.
My local dealer for the kuat has started taking orders for the NV add-on.......as to what exactly that means though....... :confused:

They have recently changed the 1up site to say 3 bikes only, but I have seen several that have used 4. I'm not sure why the change from the 1up guys....

The NV weighs around 30 lbs, an e-mail from the kuat guys said around 20-25 lbs for the add-on. So around 50 lbs sounds about right.

A nice touch with the NV is the inclusion of a bike repair stand. Comes in handy at the trailhead sometimes.

krisdrum said:
A roof rack might be a better option, since most lightweight rear racks only accommodate 2-3 bikes and a tray style 4 bike hitch mount is going to be heavy.
Since getting a larger vehicle (minivan) I prefer the hitch rack, the NV is nice as it tilts away from the trunk with the bikes on to allow for access. I can't put the bikes in the car because it's usually full of kids and their stuff :D. If it was a smaller vehicle I would consider roof racks again (previously had yakima high rollers), but I like being able to park the vehicle with the rack + bikes in the garage.

Roof rack vs hitch depends on a lot of things. Just my 2c

·
Banned
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
how much worse in quality is the Saris Thelma 3-Bike rack than the Thule/Yakimas? I know the Kuat is on another level, but Saris gets some good reviews.
http://www.sarisracks.com/bike-racks...&category_id=8

How strong is their plastic in the long run? Can it handle 3x Mountain Bikes (1 of them being a 45lb DH Bike)

·
Bikes, Guns & Metal...
495 Posts
Lawfarm said:
I have the Thule 914XT rack. It is a nice, heavy duty 4 bike rack; it tips back (to allow trunk/hatch access) and the bike holding portion folds down when not in use. Fits a 2" receiver. Empty weight (scale verified) is 35#.

http://www.thule.com/en/US/Products/BikeCarriers/Hitch/914XT Roadway.aspx

I got mine for $160 at the LBS.

I have a rack kind of like this one and I have the feeling that if I get all 4 bikes on it, I will get them scratched, no to mention that one time I did not secured the bike too well and it flew out of it while driving at 35 MPH, I have been thinking about replace it with a rack that will hold them by the tires instead.

·
Banned
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Rusted Angel said:
I have a rack kind of like this one and I have the feeling that if I get all 4 bikes on it, I will get them scratched, no to mention that one time I did not secured the bike too well and it flew out of it while driving at 35 MPH, I have been thinking about replace it with a rack that will hold them by the tires instead.
what do u mean "like this one"? Thule stuff is generally high quality, just because it looks similar to other designs doesn't mean they're the same. And your bike flew off the car due to user error. Lets try not to let that happen with our $3-5k bikes okay =)

·
Bikes, Guns & Metal...
495 Posts
skyliner1004 said:
what do u mean "like this one"? Thule stuff is generally high quality, just because it looks similar to other designs doesn't mean they're the same. And your bike flew off the car due to user error. Lets try not to let that happen with our $3-5k bikes okay =)

The one I have is not as expensive but my point is that the bikes might be too close to each other and some times it will have a pendulum effect when speeding and stopping.

My bike fell off due to user's error.

·
Banned
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
see the higher end Thules that hang their bikes from 2 arms have a strap that prevents the bikes from swinging and hitting each other...

but still, i'm looking for tray style racks only..

·
n00bsauce
13,507 Posts
skyliner1004 said:
how much worse in quality is the Saris Thelma 3-Bike rack than the Thule/Yakimas? I know the Kuat is on another level, but Saris gets some good reviews.
http://www.sarisracks.com/bike-racks...&category_id=8

How strong is their plastic in the long run? Can it handle 3x Mountain Bikes (1 of them being a 45lb DH Bike)
The Thelma is a great rack and Saris makes quality products comparable to Thule and Yakima. However, the weight limit on the Thelma is 35# per bike.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts