Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Frog Whisperer
Joined
·
40,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
need a bit of advice

...before I pull the trigger. I have this frame, brand new, never built that was given to me.

It appears to be a Trek, 5000, 2007

I threw some bits and pieces on it and this is the fit with them. This puts me into the same position as the rest of my bikes. I would like some opinions as to whether this appears too big (it feels good but there is no headset so I can't ride it). The saddle is not level...I know nor is it a REAL saddle so one without 2 inches of mush on it will bring the seatpost up higher.

Keeping in mind that a smaller frame is NOT an option.

this is a 54 and would have liked a 52, but now I am not sure, this seems very comfortable.


feedback?

edit (I need to be sure before I pop for the full Veloce build, got the picture?)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,557 Posts
Touch0Gray said:
...before I pull the trigger. I have this frame, brand new, never built that was given to me.

It appears to be a Trek, 5000, 2007

I threw some bits and pieces on it and this is the fit with them. This puts me into the same position as the rest of my bikes. I would like some opinions as to whether this appears too big (it feels good but there is no headset so I can't ride it). The saddle is not level...I know nor is it a REAL saddle so one without 2 inches of mush on it will bring the seatpost up higher.

Keeping in mind that a smaller frame is NOT an option.

this is a 54 and would have liked a 52, but now I am not sure, this seems very comfortable.



feedback?

edit (I need to be sure before I pop for the full Veloce build, got the picture?)

You can't judge a fit with out the person on the bike... and even then any judgment of fit has to be done live, on a trainer. If it does fit, it is a more old school fit, with the saddle almost level with the bars. Nothing wrong with that.
If the bike fits, ride it.
PS. I didn't understand the "before I pull the trigger" statement.
 

·
Frog Whisperer
Joined
·
40,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
AlexCad5 said:
You can't judge a fit with out the person on the bike... and even then any judgment of fit has to be done live, on a trainer. If it does fit, it is a more old school fit, with the saddle almost level with the bars. Nothing wrong with that.
If the bike fits, ride it.
PS. I didn't understand the "before I pull the trigger" statement.
on the full Veloce gruppo, I hate to spend 800 bucks if it is glaringly wrong
 

·
Frog Whisperer
Joined
·
40,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I can take the bars down a good inch, I like mine a bit higher (old and not as flexible as i used to be)
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
7,071 Posts
Honestly, it looks like you'd end up with a decent old school fit with that frame.

Raise the bars up like you planned- that'll probably require a slightly longer stem.

Nice score! Veloce that thang up!
 

·
duh...
Joined
·
9,658 Posts
are the boys doin' the fosbury flop over the tt?

may not be ideal, but it doesn't look horrible. if the rails on the new saddle are similar a 0 setback will put the clamp more in the center. looks like you have enough steerer for a more aesthetically pleasing stem. btw, 31.8 bars open up more choices (can use short dh/fr stems), although the new profile aris stems for 26.0 come pretty short. current bars look like they have a decent amount of reach
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,923 Posts
70mm isn't too bad, I use a 75. Are you sure that the saddle is in the right place in relation to the pedals? Sliding the saddle forward to compensate for too long a top tube is asking for knee pain, often significant. The saddle should be positioned in relation to the pedals, not the bars.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,838 Posts
Maybe you could invest in a headset and put a chain on it just to get a feel of the ride. It looks like that's all you need to ride it, and then you'd have a good idea if you want to spend the money or not. If you have an extra front brake you could spend a little time on an extended ride or two.

It looks like it'd work, as long s you have no clearance issues while stradling it.
 

·
Frog Whisperer
Joined
·
40,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
right I roughed the KOP position, knowing it is NOT the seat post, saddle, or cranks that will be on there. (those are a set of atb 170 mm I will most likely be using 172.5's)

I could go with a longer stem but hadn't even considered going up and tilting it down to help the look. There is plenty of steerer tube yet. If I go up another 3/4 of an inch and put a 80 on there and tilt it the other way, I think I'd be good

My bianchi is a 53cm with a 53cm virtual top tube length, and I have 10's of thousands of miles on her. There is only a CM difference. My Langster is a 52 but it is totally different geometry and a compact frame.

Even at that, I could deal with a bit longer stem too. In fact with the bars DOWN all the way my knee can graze the bars..(LONG femurs) (Remembering there is NO headset in there yet just some rubber shims to approximate it)

I am going to have my wife take a pic or 2 tonight of me on it and I'll bring 'em back here.
BTW I have enough stand over on it....not excessive but enough
 

·
Frog Whisperer
Joined
·
40,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
velodog said:
Maybe you could invest in a headset and put a chain on it just to get a feel of the ride. It looks like that's all you need to ride it, and then you'd have a good idea if you want to spend the money or not. If you have an extra front brake you could spend a little time on an extended ride or two.

It looks like it'd work, as long s you have no clearance issues while stradling it.

Yeah I was thinking that (the headset thing) I have a brake I could use (probably front and rear)

Would need to get a seatpost clamp too...still in all better than investing in a 800 build only to find out it doesn't fit.
 

·
Frog Whisperer
Joined
·
40,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
alright, here are a couple of pic's (please ignore the old man on the bike, he is old and in the way)

kudos to my wife for shooting till I made her quit....



hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm maybe...............she likes me in spandex ....................hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
7,071 Posts
Figure yer looking at slightly (almost imperceptibly) longer cranks, and yer knees are hitting yer elbows already... looks like you've got plenty of bike to fit- doesn't look too big at all.

If it was me, I'd try a longer stem, but you'd probably want to try a few before you bought one. Shortest I've got in my parts bin is a 110, and that's probably longer than you'd want.
 

·
Frog Whisperer
Joined
·
40,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
buck-50 said:
Figure yer looking at slightly (almost imperceptibly) longer cranks, and yer knees are hitting yer elbows already... looks like you've got plenty of bike to fit- doesn't look too big at all.

If it was me, I'd try a longer stem, but you'd probably want to try a few before you bought one. Shortest I've got in my parts bin is a 110, and that's probably longer than you'd want.
yeah, no kidding 2mm is a gnats eyelash...thanks man......incoming PM
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
7,071 Posts
Touch0Gray said:
yeah, no kidding 2mm is a gnats eyelash...thanks man......incoming PM
Man, first MB1 goes all crabon fibre, now you? what is the world coming to?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
414 Posts
Agreed, with some minor tweaking of the components it looks like that size 54 frame will work fine for you. But, like velodog said, I would suggest getting the bike in a rideable state before investing the big bucks.

Obviously, an actual ride will be much more telling than spinning on a trainer. You will quickly determine if the overall handling suits you or if the ride is simply too harsh compared to your steel Bianchi.

BTW, that is a good looking frame. I like the simple graphics (understated compared to most carbon Treks). In fact, the bright red color w/ white logos reminds me of a Ducati motorcycle. :thumbsup:



Let us know how you make out T0G!

Paul
 

·
Frog Whisperer
Joined
·
40,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I gotta say I don't like the looks of the big carbon tubes...but my bikes are to ride not to look at!
SO.........I will be putting the build together pretty quick here i hope, I have a FEW other expenses...here we go again....bike numero 5......all I need is one more right?????....N + 1 ...................ut oh..........
 
1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Top