Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Frog Whisperer
40,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
need a bit of advice

...before I pull the trigger. I have this frame, brand new, never built that was given to me.

It appears to be a Trek, 5000, 2007

I threw some bits and pieces on it and this is the fit with them. This puts me into the same position as the rest of my bikes. I would like some opinions as to whether this appears too big (it feels good but there is no headset so I can't ride it). The saddle is not level...I know nor is it a REAL saddle so one without 2 inches of mush on it will bring the seatpost up higher.

Keeping in mind that a smaller frame is NOT an option.

this is a 54 and would have liked a 52, but now I am not sure, this seems very comfortable.

feedback?

edit (I need to be sure before I pop for the full Veloce build, got the picture?)

·
Frog Whisperer
40,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it's a 70 mm

·
Frog Whisperer
40,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I could also go with a longer stem and a zero setback post?

·
Frog Whisperer
40,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
AlexCad5 said:
You can't judge a fit with out the person on the bike... and even then any judgment of fit has to be done live, on a trainer. If it does fit, it is a more old school fit, with the saddle almost level with the bars. Nothing wrong with that.
If the bike fits, ride it.
PS. I didn't understand the "before I pull the trigger" statement.
on the full Veloce gruppo, I hate to spend 800 bucks if it is glaringly wrong

·
Frog Whisperer
40,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I can take the bars down a good inch, I like mine a bit higher (old and not as flexible as i used to be)

·
Frog Whisperer
40,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
right I roughed the KOP position, knowing it is NOT the seat post, saddle, or cranks that will be on there. (those are a set of atb 170 mm I will most likely be using 172.5's)

I could go with a longer stem but hadn't even considered going up and tilting it down to help the look. There is plenty of steerer tube yet. If I go up another 3/4 of an inch and put a 80 on there and tilt it the other way, I think I'd be good

My bianchi is a 53cm with a 53cm virtual top tube length, and I have 10's of thousands of miles on her. There is only a CM difference. My Langster is a 52 but it is totally different geometry and a compact frame.

Even at that, I could deal with a bit longer stem too. In fact with the bars DOWN all the way my knee can graze the bars..(LONG femurs) (Remembering there is NO headset in there yet just some rubber shims to approximate it)

I am going to have my wife take a pic or 2 tonight of me on it and I'll bring 'em back here.
BTW I have enough stand over on it....not excessive but enough

·
Frog Whisperer
40,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
velodog said:
Maybe you could invest in a headset and put a chain on it just to get a feel of the ride. It looks like that's all you need to ride it, and then you'd have a good idea if you want to spend the money or not. If you have an extra front brake you could spend a little time on an extended ride or two.

It looks like it'd work, as long s you have no clearance issues while stradling it.

Yeah I was thinking that (the headset thing) I have a brake I could use (probably front and rear)

Would need to get a seatpost clamp too...still in all better than investing in a 800 build only to find out it doesn't fit.

·
Frog Whisperer
40,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
alright, here are a couple of pic's (please ignore the old man on the bike, he is old and in the way)

kudos to my wife for shooting till I made her quit....

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm maybe...............she likes me in spandex ....................hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

·
Frog Whisperer
40,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I need to note here, steel is SO elegant looking

·
Frog Whisperer
40,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
buck-50 said:
Figure yer looking at slightly (almost imperceptibly) longer cranks, and yer knees are hitting yer elbows already... looks like you've got plenty of bike to fit- doesn't look too big at all.

If it was me, I'd try a longer stem, but you'd probably want to try a few before you bought one. Shortest I've got in my parts bin is a 110, and that's probably longer than you'd want.
yeah, no kidding 2mm is a gnats eyelash...thanks man......incoming PM

·
Frog Whisperer
40,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I gotta say I don't like the looks of the big carbon tubes...but my bikes are to ride not to look at!
SO.........I will be putting the build together pretty quick here i hope, I have a FEW other expenses...here we go again....bike numero 5......all I need is one more right?????....N + 1 ...................ut oh..........

·
Frog Whisperer
40,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
hmmmmmmm MAYBE I should build me a 14 pound fixed gear??????????? That would have my fixed outnumbering my geared bikes by 3 to 2.................

·
Frog Whisperer
40,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
buck-50 said:
Man, first MB1 goes all crabon fibre, now you? what is the world coming to?
yup....crab-on fibre is WAY better than carbon........love me the claws!

·
Frog Whisperer
40,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
good lord...I just opened this up on a 19 inch color corrected monitor...I look like sh!t chilled and watered down!

Hope Snap and Eddy and OEH and Andrea and Christine and .....................THE Catzilla never see this...... I'll never get a date (especially if my wife gets wind of it)

·
Frog Whisperer
40,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
zmudshark said:
There ain't no 'S' in advice.

Just sayin

If it doesn't hurt, ride it. It's really ugly, but I'm a lugged steel guy.
I'm with ya on the ugly...

no S????? what you talking about.....hehehehhehehhehehehe........

·
Frog Whisperer
40,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
OK.....I finally got a chance to talk to my buddy who is managing one of the bigger LBS in Madison (he's going to press in a headset for me so I can rough out a build to see if i like it)

He was looking at it (yes it IS a 5000, not a madone) AND.....it IS a 52....I was measuring wrong, he informed me that a Trek is center of bb to top. THAT is NOT the top of the seat-tube, it is the TOP of the TOP tube....OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.....yeah this why it fits me... d'oh....

·
Frog Whisperer
40,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
free945 said:
you should put more decals on the frame and the fork,it looks too dull.
looking for grateful dead colorforms!

·
Frog Whisperer
40,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
fwiw, I had so much conflicting information about ACTUAL geometry of the 2007's I e-mailed Trek and the sent me a pdf of the geometry chart. It is indeed cc to TOP of seat-tube
still the frame fits me and it is having the headset pressed as I type this, I should have it back by the weekend to start a rough build so I can get on it and ride it a bit. I need so scrape a few more bucks together to get the build kit I want. I would still like to ride it before spending big bucks on it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts