Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Cyclosaurus
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the NR universal taillight and currently only one battery for my helmet(13.2V NiMH, 4AH). It's quite a pain (and unsafe) being attached to your bike via battery cable. I don't want to spend lots of money to get another NR battery and am looking at other sources. I think I found a decent solution:

http://www.batteryspace.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=2323

This may be overkill, but it's under $30 and includes a charger (Probably will need to charge it only once a month at best.) Any noticeable light degradation using the 6V battery? How much work will it require to mount it on my bike? Less than an hour?

Thanks,

Charles

·
NeoRetroGrouch
6,491 Posts
Folsom_Blues said:
I have the NR universal taillight and currently only one battery for my helmet(13.2V NiMH, 4AH). It's quite a pain (and unsafe) being attached to your bike via battery cable. I don't want to spend lots of money to get another NR battery and am looking at other sources. I think I found a decent solution:

This may be overkill, but it's under $30 and includes a charger (Probably will need to charge it only once a month at best.) Any noticeable light degradation using the 6V battery? How much work will it require to mount it on my bike? Less than an hour?

Thanks,

Charles
Go on to the baterryspace forum and ask. I would think you would have a very dim light using 6V on a 12V system. Bulb should last a long time though. - TF

·
Call me a Fred
16,999 Posts
I doubt the 12v bulb would even glow faintly on 6v. Get a 12 (13.2) volt battery and it will work. If you want to use a 6v battery, then replace the bulb with a 6 volt one.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I've thought about doing this too, but finding a 12 volt rechargable battery that's fairly small is another story... for the next couple months I have to use the headlight anyways so I'll always have the NR battery with me. =)

·
Registered
806 Posts
6 v 12

My memory of this taillight is that it is switchable between 6v and 12v...if it's not, it should be, as LEDs generally run on less than 3v. However.

Assuming that it's either switchable or that it has a regulator built in, my argument would be go to someplace like All Electronics (www.allelectronics.com) and pick up a 7.2v Li-Ion battery and charger. I ran a 3w headlight off this setup for a while. LI batteries are very powerful for their size and weight, and if you wire things right, you could just hook up the charger every couple of days and be all set.

Alternatively, assuming I'm correct and it runs off of 6v, any decent 6v SLA battery should do the job.

Warning! If you don't have experience messing around with electricity, find a friend who does. Accidentally shorting a Li-Ion battery can be a very warm, very illuminating, very moving experience!

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Folsom_Blues said:

Thanks,

Charles

I tried my "classic niterider taillight" that is usually powered by a dig pro 12e with a headtrip 6V battery a couple months ago when I was looking for a similair solution. the plug ends don't interface so I had to crudely link them together to try it on the bench, but it didn't work well. the leds were lit but lit less brightly than normal and they would only operate on steady mode, no flash.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts