Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi,

I spent some time at some local bike shops recently b/c my previous bike (a schwinn sprint) is very old and heavy. The ones i looked at were mostly cannondales, around $1600 (shimano 105 10 speed groupo). The sales person highly recommended this setup, though i wonder if it's possible to build a better bike for less than that? It had a carbon fork, carbon seatpost, and the rest of the frame was aluminum. Any suggestions for a really good frame(good name too) with a 105 10 speed groupo (or something equivalent) that would come out to $1600 or less? Thanks,

Dave

· Registered
611 Posts
You say you are interested in building a bike - where do you plan to source the components? Have you built a bike before, or do you have a friend with tools and experience? If the answer is no, you may be better off buying a complete bike.

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the components will probably come from performancebike or nashbar.com.. On my old bike i used to service everything (adj/lube crank, hubs, change gears, adj gears, etc).. though they didn't require many tools at all.. just basic ones

· "It's alive!"
1,454 Posts
bikeboy24 said:
the components will probably come from performancebike or nashbar.com.. On my old bike i used to service everything (adj/lube crank, hubs, change gears, adj gears, etc).. though they didn't require many tools at all.. just basic ones
In all likelihood, you will end up spending more than if you buy a complete bike at a bikeshop. Bicycle companies get spectacular discounts on components and they pass these discounts down, to some extent, to the customers.

If you are extremely patient and flexible as to what you will buy, you can find good deals at Nashbar or on eBay, but you should plan on spending 6 months or so shopping. If you want to ride the new bike soon, I GUARANTEE you will come ahead if you buy the complete bike.

I had a friend who refused to take this advice two years ago. He bought a nice, used Cannondale frame. He is still the proud owner of a nice, used Cannondale frame without any components hung on it. Components, bought seperately, are outrageously expensive.

Yours,

FBB

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.