Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My buddy and I just got into road biking and we are about to do our first 100 mile ride. We are thinking about the route from Harpers Ferry in the other post to the W&OD, and then down to Mt. Vernon. I think that will still be short a few miles, and we were thinking about riding into DC and riding around Haines Point once too.

If anyone has some good suggestions or tips, please post.

·
What'd I do?
1,777 Posts
Where are you? My centuries all start from my house, and aren't much use for anyone else. You can get some ideas on where to ride at bikewashington.org. After that, just start riding. A good map helps if you're worried about it at all.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looking for something that is meaningful

I ride from my home in McLean (near Falls Church). I know pretty much every mile of the W&OD, upper River Road, and DC. I was looking for something interesting...starting from a George Washington landmark in Harpers Ferry and then ride to Mt. Vernon. I don't know anything about riding in WV (I know some roads are full of semi's and want to avoid those).

I did my longest ride to date yesterday...80 miles from my house in McLean (out Kirby to Chain Bridge, accross the river, out the Clara Barton, Out MacArthur, Out Falls, left on River, and on out to Whites Ferry (and back). After 80 miles on those hills in Montgomery County, I think that riding on the W&OD for 80 miles would be a piece of cake.

·
What'd I do?
1,777 Posts
Once you get up by Travilah Rd on River, you're going to find a lot of nice roads to play around on. I don't really have any cue sheets or anything, but from my house in Northeast DC, Sugarloaf was about 100 miles. About 25 of those were getting in and out of the city, and the rest were in Montgomery Co, mostly above where I mentioned before. The other thing you can do is head out the WOD, and hit the roads at the western end of it. That might be a few more miles than you want though. Sorry, I don't know much about riding in Virginia.

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
Spongedog said:
My buddy and I just got into road biking and we are about to do our first 100 mile ride. We are thinking about the route from Harpers Ferry in the other post to the W&OD, and then down to Mt. Vernon. I think that will still be short a few miles, and we were thinking about riding into DC and riding around Haines Point once too.

If anyone has some good suggestions or tips, please post.
I rack up 45 miles one way on the W&OD trail from my house in Alexandria. 90 miles round trip.

You could do the Custis Trail/East down mount vernon, to 4 mile run, over shirlington, to W&OD west to definitely get 10+ more in.

I think it is easier to put in the tougher miles first ( heading west for me)...then come back east later on in the day.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.