Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Banned
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A lot of times I train in the afternoons and get back from my rides around 4 and really do not want to eat dinner just yet. You know, the wife would kill me if I ate without her. What are some good recovery drinks that will give me the proper nutrients without filling me up too much. Thanks

·
gastarbeiter
1,513 Posts
for me, at least during the summer, nothing works better than a good ol' coca-cola :)

Soggy Feed Bag said:
A lot of times I train in the afternoons and get back from my rides around 4 and really do not want to eat dinner just yet. You know, the wife would kill me if I ate without her. What are some good recovery drinks that will give me the proper nutrients without filling me up too much. Thanks

·
Banned
608 Posts
Soggy Feed Bag said:
What are some good recovery drinks that will give me the proper nutrients without filling me up too much.
Low/non-fat yogurt + fresh fruit, bananas work well.

·
50ft. Queenie
1,154 Posts
Soggy Feed Bag said:
here is a good article from Hammer Nutrition

to summerize: up to 100grms of carbs with protein added at a 3:1 ratio
about 400 cals.

i typically use a few servings of Hammer Heed & a soy protein, mixed in soy milk.
i do this w/i 30mins of completion. followed by a small meal about an hour or so later.
good luck

·
Banned
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I hear a lot fo talk about soy milk. What are the benefits vs skim or non-fat?

·
Registered
593 Posts
Don't know about the nutrition, but for me ain't nuthin' better than a blue Power-Ade. Not even sure what the actual flavor is (Artic Blast?), but it sure hits the spot.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Chocolate Milk (non-fat)

Another vote for chocolate milk. I saw an article about a year ago comparing it to other recovery drinks. I think they had a direct comparison to Endurox, but I can't confirm it. It turns out choc milk was just as effective due to its mix of carbs and protein. I find it a quick and easy to find just about anywhere I finish a ride. Most important I find that it seems to work.

·
Registered
467 Posts
I use Endurox mixed with powdered gatorade.I use very little of the Gatorade and a whole serving of Endurox.Tastes good and gets the job done.

I also like Organic low fat chocalate milk.

The Endurox is a lot easier to stomache most of the time.

·
Banned
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
jeff262 said:
Another vote for chocolate milk. I saw an article about a year ago comparing it to other recovery drinks. I think they had a direct comparison to Endurox, but I can't confirm it. It turns out choc milk was just as effective due to its mix of carbs and protein. I find it a quick and easy to find just about anywhere I finish a ride. Most important I find that it seems to work.
That works for me. It is a heck of a lot cheaper than Endurox.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Heck, if chocolate milk works then chocolate ice cream will do just as fine. I like that idea! I use Endurox though. Stuff works and I am sticking to it. I stock up whenever Performance store here has it on sale.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I really like endurox. It really seems to have some good nutrients in it. The first time I ever used it, I was returning from a hot summer ride and I was totally dehydrated. I was lightheaded, feeling sick, etc etc. I knew I had to get some electrolytes and nutrients in my system so I eyed up this brand new can of strange concoction called endurox that I had bought on sale the previous day. I downed a glass of it and felt awesome 20 minutes later. Yeah, it's got some good nutrients. ;)

·
Old, slow, and fat.
3,897 Posts
Depending on how hungry I am:

Coke and a banana, or Coke and Poptarts or Slimfast (or similar) and a Coke

Then when I'm hungry again, I'll actually eat something decently healthy.

If I'm just out for an hour's ride, nothing. Longer? see above.

M

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Blueberries!

I think most of the nutrition claims from Endurox are bogus, but I like the vanilla stuff. Soy milk is optional. Add some frozen blueberries (from any grocery store) in a blender for a few seconds. It's delicious.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Whole Milk!

Soggy Feed Bag said:

CHOCLATE WHOLE MILK....

Whole milk is only 30% fat... No NO wait a minute...

Wole Milk is only 20% fat.... Nah ... Weight a minute....

Hole Milk is only 10% fut .... Darn it ...

Whoel Milk is only 7% fat..... Jeese !!!!! Getting close...

Whole Milk is only 4% fat ....

DRINK WHOLE MILK !!!!

·
Registered
520 Posts
Try Ultragen by First Endurance

Ultragen is the leading most effective recovery drink I have tried. The taste is not the greatest but if you are looking for proper and quick recovery after a strenuous training ride then give it a shot. If you don't like it give the rest to a pal.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Pull your head out of yer butte....

pr0230 said:
CHOCLATE WHOLE MILK....

Whole milk is only 30% fat... No NO wait a minute...

Wole Milk is only 20% fat.... Nah ... Weight a minute....

Hole Milk is only 10% fut .... Darn it ...

Whoel Milk is only 7% fat..... Jeese !!!!! Getting close...

Whole Milk is only 4% fat ....

DRINK WHOLE MILK !!!!
Whole milk: By Federal law, whole milk must contain at least 3.25% milkfat and 8.25% milk solids by weight--which means it derives about 50% of its calories from fat. Because of this relatively high fat content, whole milk is best used only for infants and young children up to age 2, not older children or adults.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts