Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I'm buying my first road bike tomorrow and all of my bikey friends say that it's a great deal and a great starter bike. £120 for the below Trek 1000 Alpha. I kinda wanted to identify what year it was before meeting up with the guy so I could haggle on price if possible. I've looked all over the net and can only find one picture of this model/colour and that doesn't have any info about it. If anyone could tell me the year this model came out that would be awesome!! Thanks everyone! Here are the picture the guy sent me and here is the link to the picture I can find on the net. Do I need to be worried that the handle bars are a different colour to the the one in the link? Sorry I'm really new to this.

http://www.boxdogbikes.com/blog/?tag=used-bikes&paged=5

http://www.randwickbotanycc.org.au/For Sale.htm (at the bottom)

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,006 Posts
I'm not going to be much help here, but the two bikes you linked to don't have sloping top tubes like the sellers bike.

Don't sweat the bar mismatch. Cyclists swap out stems/ bars/ saddles/ posts frequently.

Test ride the bike (out on the roads) for awhile and make sure it fits/ feels right and is in good mechanical condition. Both are more important than the model year.

·
Registered
359 Posts
The model is a 1000C from either 2004, or 2005 my best guest would be ‘04. It was offered in both a traditional geometry and compact, which is what the C stands for. The color and component spec . are probably somewhat unique to that market, and it looks like some components are newer, however here is the U.S spec. sheet.

1000C™
Frameset
Sizes 50, 54, 58, 63cm
Frame Alpha aluminum
Fork Alloy with alloy steerer
Wheels
Wheels Alloy hubs; Alex AT450 rims
Tires Bontrager Select, 700x28c
Drivetrain
Shifters Shimano Sora
Front Derailleur Shimano Sora
Rear Derailleur Shimano Sora
Crank Bontrager Sport 52/42/30
Cassette SRAM 850 12-26, 8 speed
Pedals Alloy/nylon road w/clips and straps
Components
Saddle Bontrager CRZ+ road
Seat Post Alloy suspension
Handlebars Bontrager
Stem Alloy direct connect, adjustable rise
Headset Aheadset, semi-cartridge, sealed
Brakeset Alloy dual pivot w/Sora STI + Tektro levers

·
Registered
78 Posts
It's a 2004 Trek 1000. I have this same bike. It looks to be mostly stock. New seat, fender added, different tires. It's a good bike but a little on the heavy side. I've been happy with it for the money. It looks like it had the stock break pads on it, CHANGE THEM!!! They suck!!!!

·
Adventure Seeker
5,115 Posts
That looks like a re-badged bike to me. The dropouts and the welding definitely looks different from the other pictures you've posted. I could be wrong, Trek could have done something totally different for the smaller sizes though. Still, those dropouts look like a department store bike to me.

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
Peanya said:
That looks like a re-badged bike to me. The dropouts and the welding definitely looks different from the other pictures you've posted. I could be wrong, Trek could have done something totally different for the smaller sizes though. Still, those dropouts look like a department store bike to me.
Good eye, Peanya. Those definitely are not the dropouts specced on even the cheapest Trek road bikes.

·
Adventure Seeker
5,115 Posts
The other thing that looks way off is the angle of the head tube vs. the seat tube. The pic linked to the bikepedia shows similar angles on a small size frame.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts