Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Have any Grey Poupon????
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, my name is David. The past 2 yrs or so i've been riding MTB ( dont bite my head off.)haha. Now im looking to road ride to help get a little better in shape and mix things up

Im 5'8 230pounds.
I will ride mainly along highway shoulder, so its pretty smooth.
i bought a schwinn prelude mainly because it was cheap and i didn't wanna spend an arm and a leg before i tried it out for a little while

NOW TO MY QUESTION: i have busted my rear tube TWICE so far, and i've only ridden my bike maybe 5 or 6 times. at first i thought it was spoke holes, so i taped them up real good.

Im looking for a good thick tire, dont really care about weight, just durability.

Also the bike is a little long for me, so i want to put a shorter stem, but considering its a dept. store bike i cant find out the specs of the bike. i assume its just a 1 1/8 steerer with a 25mm. bar, but i wasn't sure.

Also, any random tips would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. Im looking at a specialized allez, a trek 1.5, or Raleigh Sport for the near future.
Any suggestions on the three bikes above?????

·
Premium Member
5,480 Posts
I have Bontrager Race All-season Hardcase on my road bike, Specialized Secteur (since my MTB is down due to a broken rear derailleur, chain & bent spoke)....

If you're looking to get a new bike in the near future, I would hold off on upgrading the Schwinn as your LBS would fit you to the bike, which includes things like replacing things like the stem as needed

If you need to replace it that bad...take it to a LBS and they can help you figure it out.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Welcome to the sport,

To help with your question on the flats, What tire pressure are you running? Don't take this the wrong way but you are a hefty guy and it sounds like you may be getting pinch flats due to low tire pressure. Most people pump up to around 100psi, with some going to the 120 range.

It is a good habit to check your pressure before every ride, sometimes it can drop over night let alone over the course of a couple days. You may also want to rub a finger around the inside of your tire and make sure there is nothing in there causing a puncture. Most flats are pinches tho.

Also, the bikes that you are looking at to upgrade would be perfect entry level bikes and are a great start.

·
Have any Grey Poupon????
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
lol, yah im a pretty big guy. One flat was for sure a pinch flat, so i taped up the rim strip with a few wraps of electrical tape. im running in the area of 90 psi or so. my pump gauge appears it may be inaccurate.

The oddest thing was that the first flat i got was while my bike was sitting still. i rode it one day and it rode fine, then two days later i had snake bites on my tube.

I thought maybe more heavy duty tubes and thicker tires would help with the flatting.

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,019 Posts
jeeper006 said:
lol, yah im a pretty big guy. One flat was for sure a pinch flat, so i taped up the rim strip with a few wraps of electrical tape. im running in the area of 90 psi or so. my pump gauge appears it may be inaccurate.

The oddest thing was that the first flat i got was while my bike was sitting still. i rode it one day and it rode fine, then two days later i had snake bites on my tube.

I thought maybe more heavy duty tubes and thicker tires would help with the flatting.
One cheap and easy (potential) fix is to install decent quality rim tape.
http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/RI707Y00-Velox+Rim+Tape.aspx

The bikes you're looking at for a future upgrade are all fine choices, but I suggest when the time comes to start shopping in earnest that you start a new thread describing your intended uses and goals. With additional info, there may be some better choices for you.

·
Premium Member
5,480 Posts
Cheap rim tape is Gorilla Glue "Duct" tape. Many MTB'ers have used it to convert to tubeless with great and reliable results.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hey Jeeper,

One thing I do for lessening the friction between tube and tire = put a some baby powder in between. Just enough so that the walls are good.

I do agree with the above suggestion on tire pressure. Most all my flats were the result of a lack of pressure. Now I check every couple of rides.

Definitely check the rim for problems and go with a decent rim tape. However, also check your tubes to see where the puncture hole (s) are. Are they happening in the same place? This might help you determine where along the wheel a problem might exist.

Dave

·
Registered
26 Posts
My GF and I both ride 1.5's. We test road other bikes around the same price range. They all seemed about the same to us. We're n00bs so we didn't know everything to look for except for what felt good to us. We're both happy with our bikes and try to ride as often as we can.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.