Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was hit by a pickup truck last week and need a new bike. Would appreciate your advice. My last bike was a Felt F5 with 105 so using this as an opportunity to upgrade to something much nicer.

First, my average weekday ride is around 20 miles and I average between 18-20 MPH on a ride. On weekends I frequently drive to a nearby mountain where I usually ride 50 miles climbing 5k feet. The highlight of my year is Ride the Rockies in Colorado and there is nothing I enjoy more than screaming down a mountainside (frequently hitting speeds in the 50s). I don't race but am always trying to get better placement on Strava.

My goal is to first find the right frame and if I don't like the componentry, just get the frame and build it up the way I want. Right now, the SRAM Red 22 etap is on top of my list, and I can use my old Rol wheels.

Requirements:
1) I have a longer than average torso so relaxed fit and endurance bikes don't work for me. I need an aggressive geometry.
2) Comfort(ish) - I like long rides, and many aggressive frames are not very compliant.
3) Carbon fiber
4) Full bike ideally under $7k.

Desirements:
1) Frame is either has lime green elements or is black. Last frame had green so I greened it up with lime green cages, bar tape, wheels, Garmin cover, etc. Now this is my brand - everyone knows me as the green guy.
2) I prefer brands that are not the most common names - so I do not prefer Trek, Cannonade, Specialized.
3) Because I climb and do aggressive descents I would prefer a road over an aero bike - but would prefer a good all-around that is both with no compromise.

Top on my list now:
  • Scott 2016 Foil Team
  • Cervelo 2017 R5

Of these two, is there one that you like better? And what other bikes should I consider?

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
4,969 Posts
I was hit by a pickup truck last week and need a new bike. Would appreciate your advice. My last bike was a Felt F5 with 105 so using this as an opportunity to upgrade to something much nicer.

First, my average weekday ride is around 20 miles and I average between 18-20 MPH on a ride. On weekends I frequently drive to a nearby mountain where I usually ride 50 miles climbing 5k feet. The highlight of my year is Ride the Rockies in Colorado and there is nothing I enjoy more than screaming down a mountainside (frequently hitting speeds in the 50s). I don't race but am always trying to get better placement on Strava.

My goal is to first find the right frame and if I don't like the componentry, just get the frame and build it up the way I want. Right now, the SRAM Red 22 etap is on top of my list, and I can use my old Rol wheels.

Requirements:
1) I have a longer than average torso so relaxed fit and endurance bikes don't work for me. I need an aggressive geometry.
2) Comfort(ish) - I like long rides, and many aggressive frames are not very compliant.
3) Carbon fiber
4) Full bike ideally under $7k.

Desirements:
1) Frame is either has lime green elements or is black. Last frame had green so I greened it up with lime green cages, bar tape, wheels, Garmin cover, etc. Now this is my brand - everyone knows me as the green guy.
2) I prefer brands that are not the most common names - so I do not prefer Trek, Cannonade, Specialized.
3) Because I climb and do aggressive descents I would prefer a road over an aero bike - but would prefer a good all-around that is both with no compromise.

Top on my list now:
  • Scott 2016 Foil Team
  • Cervelo 2017 R5

Of these two, is there one that you like better? And what other bikes should I consider?

Thanks!!!
I ride a previous version of the Foil. It's an aero frame, as is the new one, which I absolutely love but have yet to ride. I too have an exceptionally long torso. I love the aggressive geo. I'm 6'2" and have a 32" inseam. I'm plenty flexible so I ride pretty flat over the top tube. The bike is precise (twitchy), efficient (stiff), and very Swiss. It is not forgiving. I'm on 23s but with Conti 4000s that say 23 on them but are more like 25s. Some day I'm going to put the caliper on them. I love this frame. It isn't for everyone, that's for sure. It feels almost like it predicts your next move and is there before you even lean the bike. It is precise not sweeping in the turns. It is a scalpel as opposed to a katana. Speaking for me, again, I LOVE this bike and I'm a SRAM fan as well. And it IS green.

·
Registered
4,493 Posts
When you have that many specific requirements, you will most likely not find a stock frame to meet all of them. It'll exhaust you.

Custom is the quickest way to hit all your targets where you'll wind up a happy consumer.

I would NOT use any insurance windfall as an opportunity to upgrade. The 'found' money may be nice but after you purchase that dream bike, you must be able to afford to maintain it and you'll quickly find out that higher end bikes have higher repair and maintenance costs. If the Felt fit you well, just buy another and be done with it.

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
I read two things. Non-standard body, and accident(were you hurt?). Both of these are usually signs pointing to a custom frame.

I don't know much about Scott, but what I've heard and read about Cervelo makes me not a fan. You could go to a company like Seven and use any of these bikes as a starting point of how you want the custom bike to handle. Plus it will fit your body type.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. I suspect that I will heal and be ready to ride long before I see anything from insurance so I would need to be something I could afford with or without - the insurance would just make it easier.

Before the accident, I felt like I was outgrowing the Felt and the 105 components for how I ride so I was thinking of how I could pitch this to my wife when I had a perfectly good bike.

I could get a slightly better Felt with Ultegra or SRAM Red, but it was a little stiff of a ride so want something that has more vertical compliance.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks. So why Seven, and what have you heard about Cervelo?

One thing that attracted me to the Scott was that it had nearly identical geometry to my Felt, and that bike was an excellent fit for me.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Maybe you should look at the new Felt FR? Apparently it is more relaxed than the old F, but not an endurance bike (like the old Z I ride).

·
Registered
4,969 Posts
I'd go with the green thing first... Haha. Cannondale Super 6 High Mod Evo has the green... Just sayin'. Light azz frame. Very light, very aggressive. Name brand though? Get over it, Trek Project One will get you a great bike exactly how you want it. But it will say Trek on it. Oh no. Your budget is in the stratosphere for bicycles... You can do anything you want. 7/8K on a bike... Any bike from a good shop will fit perfectly. You want a longer wheel base it sounds like. Vertical E compliance is a term I'll leave to the engineers and physicists. Softer ride? 25s or more even seem to be best consensus. Longer bike that will take wider tires... Aggressive geo. should be easy peasy to find. I'm a huge Scott fan, but my frame ain't what you are lookin' for.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts