Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking to upgrade my old Campy 9sp setup to a compact. I have been unable to find anything compatible to the "square taper" spindle currently on my bike with a traditional style bottom bracket.

Is it possible to just upgrade to a newer bottom bracket? I know there is English and Italian threads which I will determine when dismantling the old BB. The bike is a Marinoni made in Canada, if anyone knows what thread that may be.

Someone here told me I would probably need to shim the spaces in between the front gears to make up for the fatter chain for 9 sp vs 10 or 11. With that in mind which bottom bracket and compact crank would you recommend to go best with a Campy 9 speed setup? .

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks
No, had not seen these. I just found out my crank setup was called square taper yesterday and a newer BB was an option. I did not even know what to search for.

But these cranks are way reasonable I will look into them. Any suggestions on what length of crank I should get for a 5'10" tall person with 29" inseam?

·
Registered
482 Posts
I'm similarly proportioned and I have 170 on my fixed gear, 172.5 and 175 on my road bikes. Personally, I like 175 and find that I can spin fine on it. Honestly, 172.5 is fine too. I've heard people say that if you do a lot of climbing that longer is better.

·
Militant commuter
881 Posts
Even if you go for a square taper compact, you may have to swap out your bottom bracket...the length of the spindle is dependent on the crank used, not the frame.

Figuring out which threading you need (English vs. Italian) is easy enough...it's usually engraved or cast into the BB assembly somewhere, or there's often a sticker on sealed cartridge models.

·
Hucken The Fard Up !
3,983 Posts
photobug said:
I have been looking to downgrade my old Campy 9sp setup to a compact. I have been unable to find anything compatible to the "square taper" spindle currently on my bike with a traditional style bottom bracket.

Is it possible to just upgrade to a newer bottom bracket? I know there is English and Italian threads which I will determine when dismantling the old BB. The bike is a Marinoni made in Canada, if anyone knows what thread that may be.

Someone here told me I would probably need to shim the spaces in between the front gears to make up for the fatter chain for 9 sp vs 10 or 11. With that in mind which bottom bracket and compact crank would you recommend to go best with a Campy 9 speed setup? .
FTFY.

FSA Vero Compact cranksets fit a square taper BB, but it is a JSA spindle I guess, not a campagnolo one.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Salsa_Lover said:
FTFY.

FSA Vero Compact cranksets fit a square taper BB, but it is a JSA spindle I guess, not a campagnolo one.

Yep that is what I am finding and what Harris suggested. The JIS (specialized) vs ISO (Campy) spindles may pose some compatability issues so I am back to having to replace the BB anyways.

With this in mind which type of BB should I look at? Would a Specialized 105 or Ultegra work with my 9sp campy chain? I think I am running an SRAM 870 chain.

·
Registered
21,544 Posts
Chain compatibility

photobug said:
With this in mind which type of BB should I look at? Would a Specialized 105 or Ultegra work with my 9sp campy chain? I think I am running an SRAM 870 chain.
Cranksets pretty much don't care about what chain you use. Some folks have had issues with 10s chains on 9s cransets and vice versa, but most report no problems.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Your 9sp chain will work fine with a 10-sp crank. Running it on one bike here with no trouble at all. It's Campy equipped by the way.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Update,
Thanks for all your help. I ordered a Tiagra 9sp set up from a local distributor. They charged my card even though they did not have it in stock. I went by a number of times and was starting to get p.o. ed as they weren't following up on the order and letting me know what my options were.

I eventually ended up with a Shimano 105 compact crank for about the same price. Turns out my old cranks were 172.5, so stubby legs can spin longer cranks. Also found out my campy cranks were very light compared to the Shimano 105 but I will take the extra gears instead. I had to put in an Italian threaded bottom bracket as well and it rides very nicely. Thanks for all the suggestions.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts