Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Polar 200 Cadence/ Heart cycling computer.
It is time to change the batteries in the transmitters.
They do not come apart for battery replacement.
Polar wants about 50 bucks to switch out the transmitters.
For about 25% of what the set up cost me I'm thinking
of getting a new setup.
I'm looking to spend $200.00 or so.
What is your preffered computer ??

·
Registered
56 Posts
That's a pretty interesting scam they have going. . . $50 for a $0.50 battery. I'm kinda surprised this is the first I've heard of it.

I just bought my gf a Cateye V3. She hasn't had a chance to use it yet, but it has pretty much all the standard features, including cadence and HR, and is wireless. They even let you replace your own batteries. I paid $130 from Amazon, which seemed to be a pretty decent price, since a lot of places sell it for ~$180.

·
Burnum Upus Quadricepus
2,017 Posts
I have a Blackburn Neuro 6.0 and the optional second-bike kit for it. Each unit has its own battery and they can be replaced. All use the same battery type, so I don't have to keep several types in stock any more. I get about 3,000 miles (200 hours) on the head unit, and about twice that on the HR strap and speed/cadence sending units.

It works well. No interference from anything. Shows current HR and zone, has average and max HR and time in five programmable zones. All the usual bike stuff too--speed, cadence, altimeter. The 5.0 model is a little cheaper and doesn't have the altimeter.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,426 Posts
The coded transmitter batteries should last 2500 hours unless you throw it in your bag, still wet. After using, I always dry the sensors off with a towel. Mine last around 4 to 5 years.

That's 2 cents an hour. Polar has sealed transmitters, and they have transmitters that you can change batteries.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Do you have the Wearlink transmitter (the one with soft elastic)? That's the one that came with my CS200. Even after changing out the battery in mine, it still doesn't work and it's only 2 years old.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
husonfirst said:
Do you have the Wearlink transmitter (the one with soft elastic)? That's the one that came with my CS200. Even after changing out the battery in mine, it still doesn't work and it's only 2 years old.
No these are the transmitters that mount to the bike, not the
heart rate transmitter.

·
cantankerous old man
121 Posts
UpStroke said:
No these are the transmitters that mount to the bike, not the
heart rate transmitter.
Crack it open, it's just a 2032 battery. Once you replace it, use some silicone to seal it back up again

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,426 Posts
Do you mean speed sensors??

·
Registered
962 Posts
Sunnuto has started making some very interesting cycling products. Their hr straps have replacable batteries and their speed sensor is incorperated into the front skewer.

·
cantankerous old man
121 Posts
funktekk said:
Sunnuto has started making some very interesting cycling products. Their hr straps have replacable batteries and their speed sensor is incorperated into the front skewer.
Not sure what you mean by started, as it's been a few years since they were introduced, but as far as replaceable batteries in the the Heartrate TX, I think Polar beat them to it with the Wearlink in '02

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm using a Garmin Edge 705 with the cadence and heart rate sensors. Have mounts on both road and mtn bikes but only have the cadence on the road bike, not tracking it on the mtn bike.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts