Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its time to get rid of my old FSA crank that I built my bike up with. Its a Ridley Excalibur with mostely campy chours 10sp. The FSA I have now was given to me by a friend when I built up the bike. I have had alot of trouble finding a chours crank now that its all 11sp. Last year i converted it to run Sram cassettes to save a little money. Now I'm thinking about getting a Red crankset for it since there about $300. Any one know if i can run the Chris King BB with a Red crankset?

·
Registered
21,637 Posts
11 sp compatibility

pulser955 said:
Its time to get rid of my old FSA crank that I built my bike up with. Its a Ridley Excalibur with mostely campy chours 10sp. The FSA I have now was given to me by a friend when I built up the bike. I have had alot of trouble finding a chours crank now that its all 11sp. Last year i converted it to run Sram cassettes to save a little money. Now I'm thinking about getting a Red crankset for it since there about $300. Any one know if i can run the Chris King BB with a Red crankset?
You don't have to worry about Chorus being 11 speed and not working with your 10s stuff. It will work just fine, as many here will attest.

·
Registered
3,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanx i didn't know that. Only other reason i wasn't going with a Chours crank was I'm looking for other gearing options. Sram red comes in a 52/38 or a 52/36. I am in northern Colorado and we have allot of big climbs. Pair one of them up with a Sram 11/26 cassette and i should still have the ability to run fast on the flats and some of the shorter down hills and climbing will be a bit easyer. My knees hurt on some of the tougher climbs here after standing for several miles.

·
monkey with flamethrower
821 Posts
Sram cranksets can only be run with Sram/Truvativ outboard cups. The reason being is that the drive side bearing in the Sram/Truvativ design 'floats' and the crank is designed to interface with said floating bearing. Using a different brands cups will cause you to quickly ruin the cup/bearing with all the play that will develop.
So you don't get to run a Chris King BB.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts