Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i've been missing my mini pump for a couple of weeks now. so i've been riding with my fingers crossed, so i won't get a flat. anyways i think it's time to get a replacement.

i've read what people had to say about frame pumps, mini pumps and co2 pumps for their bikes. and i've also used a frame pump and mini pump before. and i've decided that i would like to get a frame pump for my bike (56cm).

i've been searching on ebay for a:

zefal hpx4 [this is the pump i used, incredibly smooth and not hard to get the tire up to pressure] but the only one that is coming up is a 28$ one.

are there any other frame pumps that i should look for?
where can i get a frame pump relatively cheap?

TIA.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Alternate suggestion

In addition to the other good suggestions that'll be posted, you might consider the cyclaire bicycle pump. http://www.permaco.com/en-us/dept_49.html

It's not the lightest unit going, but it's a breeze to use and will get you back to full pressure much faster than frame or lightweight pumps.

Maybe worth a look. I have one and really like it.

·
Registered
425 Posts
maclover said:
i've been missing my mini pump for a couple of weeks now. so i've been riding with my fingers crossed, so i won't get a flat. anyways i think it's time to get a replacement.

i've read what people had to say about frame pumps, mini pumps and co2 pumps for their bikes. and i've also used a frame pump and mini pump before. and i've decided that i would like to get a frame pump for my bike (56cm).

zefal hpx4 [this is the pump i used, incredibly smooth and not hard to get the tire up to pressure] but the only one that is coming up is a 28$ one.

TIA.
Crank Brothers power pump. AAAAA

·
Banned
381 Posts
Let me tell ya....

I've bought some many pumps and co2s....(probably spent more than what I should've) if you want a pump not co2, get Topeak Roadmorph. So far it's the best pump I've ever used. I stoped using co2 last year after one faulty cartridge and my mistake to blow one out + 2 flats costed me a pair of cleats and 2 hours to home. :mad:

·
The Right Wing
843 Posts
Frame Pump

maclover said:

TIA.
A full size frame pump is a good choice. I have the Zefal and it is pretty good. I also have a Blackburn FP-1 and I like it a little better. I think it is also a little lighter, but I have not verified that. As far as cheap pumps, your LBS is a good place. Frame pumps are not as cool as mini's, so the price is attractive.

If $28 is too much for you, perhaps ou should look for a crit where they give a pump or a gift certificate as a prime. Train your ass off, focus on the prime (you don't have to finish the race to collect your prize) and win it with style. Alternatively, you could get work for the money (I do this every day). For instance, do you live in the Northeast? If you deatil clean and wax my spare frame I'll pay you $28.

·
Rollin' Stones
2,560 Posts
topeak

I will second the vote for the Topeak Roadmorph. I too have had a lot of pumps. This little thing works like a dream. It's got a gauge, a good handle, and collapses down to the size of a regular mini pump. Please excuse my dirty rug I took the pics on!

·
Downhill Juggernaut
1,668 Posts
Another vote for the Road Morph. One awesome pump! While I like the vintage cool factor of my Silca that matches my frame, I prefer the Road Morphs ability to get me back on the road quickly at the right pressure. On group rides, everyone seems to prefer my Road Morph as well. That little pressure gauge is accurate as well. I've compared it to my handheld gauge on several occasions and it is spot on.

·
Banned
6,360 Posts
Hard not to recommend Zefal--mine's at least 15 yrs old

I've been using a Topeak Road Morph for about a year, but on my beater, I have a Xefal hpX that's at least 15 years old, must have been used thousands of times, and it still works like new. The thing hardly has any paint left on it, but the guts are still good. Only reason I quit using it as a main pump is that the top tubes on my Atlantis and Rambouillet are too long for it.
FWIW, I've never used a minipump that wasn't a huge PIA. I use fatty tires, and one mini I had took more than 600 strokes to blow a 700x35 up to 75psi.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for the replies

I enojoyed reading 53T's reply. If I did live in the NE I would look into waxing up your bike for 28$, assuming that there'd be a tip. I'm a student right now so it's hard to work at the same time [classes 8-5] not including lab work. Only 1.5 years to go and soloist carbon here i come.

There were so many responses for the Topeak Roadmorph pump, so I'm going to drop by the Big P today to see if they have any.

Thanks again!!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Roadmorph is pretty big.

I just did a search for the Roadmorph and it is 12" long! Does that count as a mini? I thought I might get one, but I don't have a spot for a full frame pump on my CF frame.

·
Rollin' Stones
2,560 Posts
I hear ya.

Midwestern Biker Dude said:
I just did a search for the Roadmorph and it is 12" long! Does that count as a mini? I thought I might get one, but I don't have a spot for a full frame pump on my CF frame.
It comes with mounting hardware. I ended up mounting mine on my aero bar extensions becasu my Y-Foil doesnt have a place for a pump either. What kinda ride do you have?

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
I went back to a frame pump..

I used to pack a mini (I've had several) and carry co2. The mini was to seat my tire and for a back-up if I ran out of co2. I've had problems using co2 in cold weather and have run out a couple of times. The mini bearly gave me enough air to make it back home. Another problem is I had to pack about 5 cartridges of co2 to feel comfortable and the weight was probably equivalent to a frame pump.

I purchased the newer model Blackburn FP. They fit different than the old models, I mount mine under my top tube using a ziploc as a pump peg and it's solid, no rattling nor coming loose. Make sure you buy the right size, Blackburn changed their sizing. The thing about frame pumps is you always have a source of air as long as you have arms. I have both the al Blackburn and the C.F. model. The C.F. matches the paint scheme on my bike. It might be my imagination but I think the al model works better, but if might be the heft and balance when you are using the thing. I found a C.F. FP for $34.00.

Whatever system works. No experience with the Road Morph.

·
Registered
124 Posts
cydswipe said:
It comes with mounting hardware. I ended up mounting mine on my aero bar extensions becasu my Y-Foil doesnt have a place for a pump either. What kinda ride do you have?
Giant OCR CF frame, the whole thing is a big curve. I own a frame pump, but there isn't any place to mount it. It would be interesting to see the mounting hardware, how does it work?

·
Rollin' Stones
2,560 Posts
You ask, you get!

Midwestern Biker Dude said:
Giant OCR CF frame, the whole thing is a big curve. I own a frame pump, but there isn't any place to mount it. It would be interesting to see the mounting hardware, how does it work?
The hardware is plastic. It's a plastic allen type screw that gets the whole bracket tighter as you go. The pump itself has a clip bracket on it so it locks to the mount. I keep it on my aero bars. I think it also came with a frame mount too. You'd have to check the mfgs. site or a web retailer or the LBS. I can't find it if it did. Anyways I love the thing. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Thank you!

cydswipe said:
Hope this helps!
Wow, thanks. Seems like it could live somewhere on my frame? Need to figure that one out, I have been depending on co2 carts for a couple thousand miles now (I don't flat often), but always a little voice in the background that makes you wonder if you are going to be very sorry.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Two very nice minipumps
  1. SKS Teleskop - light (~90g), compact, robust, cool look (in transparent version), very cheap (~8 EUR in Europe, shoud not be more then 15 bucks in US), relatevely big air volume per stroke (for minipump). The only downside - max. pressure ~8 bar. It is enough for almost any purpose, but anyway.
  2. Barbieri CarbOne - extramely light (~60g), compact (while few mm longer then Teleskop), relatevely high max. pressure 10-11 bar, carbon look (and it is carbon), reasonable price (for carbon, ~25 bucks). Downsides - slightly smaller air volume per stroke (while acceptable), Fast wearing of rubber rings if used on tubes with threaded valves.
BTW, CarbOne exists as well as minipump with integrated pressure gauge and as frame pump, but these I never have used.

maclover said:

TIA.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,979 Posts
I've always liked Zefal pumps. A couple of years ago, my kids gave me a Barbiere, (sp?) CF pump. You can get'em at Nashbar among others. It's very small, but works very well. Had to use it a couple of times last year. Worked perfectly. Lots of pressure.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Well, that is one cool portable pump and the weight is not bad, like a training tubular.
Thank you for that information! I appreciated it. It is good to have a good potable air
tool, just in case you have a day of bad luck, and your CO2 cartridges do not deliver
or you have a slow leak, and the pump will save your day...

·
Registered
75 Posts
I've been using the same zefal pump for 35 years and it still works great. Several years ago I bought a second bike that has presta valves so last year instead of continuing to switch the pump back and forth between presta and schrader, I bought a second zefal. I figure it will last another 35 years too.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts