Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the summer, I ride in the North East on suburban 2 lane back roads. I can only remember getting a flat 2x in the past 35 years. (I hope I am not jinxing myself by writing this ;-)

In the winter, I ride in FL (in the A1A bike lane) on semi urban roads. I have flatted 6x in 5 years. Mostly it is a construction staple or piece of metal that punctures through tire and tube.

I am riding Conti Grand Prix 4 season 700 x 25 tires. I am wondering if there is something tougher, yet good performance as well. Thanks.

·
Registered
11,097 Posts
your flat frequency seems pretty low, if you like the ride quality of the Contis, just stick with them.

I used horrid-riding Conti Gatorskins for several years and finally switched to the 4000 II series...vast improvement in ride comfort and didn't notice any change in number of flats. on the 5000 series now and they're as good or better.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. Do you think going to a X28 would help, possibly spreading load a bit more?

·
Registered
78 Posts
I've gotten really good mileage and service out of the 4 Seasons. I use the 5,000's on my go-fast, but 4 Seasons on 2 others. They are an especially good tire in 32mm for commuting.

·
Registered
8,914 Posts
Thanks. Do you think going to a X28 would help, possibly spreading load a bit more?
Yes.

You'd probably be served best by mounting the largest tires that fit the frame. In my experience the larger the tire the fewer the flats.

·
Huge in Japan
473 Posts
Sticking with Continental, going to a larger size than current in Gator Hardshell will be more robust. Going same size as current in Gator Hardshell will still be more robust but you'll likely notice reduced ride comfort and traction. Agree from an anecdotal standpoint that going larger with the same, or any for that matter, tire results in less flats.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
I have ridden Specialized Armadillo tires with great success (never had a flat in several years), but they are not good ride quality compared to GP4000s or higher end tire like that. The one time I decided to tire Gatorskins, I literally got a flat from a thorn (goathead) on the road in the first 5 miles. I could not believe it. They've been good since then, but I lost faith in Gatorskins being all that. Here's the photo of the puncture: I hate goatheads!
Tire Automotive tire Hood Wheel Bumper

·
Registered
145 Posts
I started out riding Gatorskins, then switched to 4000’s about 4 years ago. Will never go back to Gatorskins. Switched to the 5000’s once they came out and noticed I started getting more cuts on my tires.
6 months ago I tried some Maxxis High Road 700x25 clinchers. The ones I got are the 120 tpi Gen 1. They weigh 220 grams. There is a newer version but I have not tried them.
They roll just about as good as the 5000’s.
3000+ miles later and there are no cuts on them and have lots of wear left. I got one pinch flat on a ride where the fellows in front of me rode right through a deep pot hole and I bottomed out hard causing a pinch flat.
I like them enough that I bought 4 more tires.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
15,144 Posts
Yes, a wider tire will do just that, so puncture will be less likely. The limiting factor will be your chain stay clearance, so check your existing tires there. If there is less than about 5mm on each side now with your 25's, there won't be room for your 28's wirhout rubbing under pedal load.

The most bomb proof road tire out there is the Maxxis Re-Fuse. The downside is the ride can be a bit harsh.

I have found a good middle ground with the Vittoria Rubino Pros - they ride nice and I get about 1 flat per year.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Yes, a wider tire will do just that, so puncture will be less likely. The limiting factor will be your chain stay clearance, so check your existing tires there. If there is less than about 5mm on each side now with your 25's, there won't be room for your 28's wirhout rubbing under pedal load.

The most bomb proof road tire out there is the Maxxis Re-Fuse. The downside is the ride can be a bit harsh.

I have found a good middle ground with the Vittoria Rubino Pros - they ride nice and I get about 1 flat per year.
A little late to the party but I’ve always had good luck with the Continental GP. Using the 5000 with a latex tube in a 28. Great ride and seem pretty tough. Another good one is the Hutchinson sector 28, I ran two sets of those tubeless until the cords started showing and never had a flat…they are pricier and harder to find it seems.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
15,144 Posts
A little late to the party but I’ve always had good luck with the Continental GP. Using the 5000 with a latex tube in a 28. Great ride and seem pretty tough. Another good one is the Hutchinson sector 28, I ran two sets of those tubeless until the cords started showing and never had a flat…they are pricier and harder to find it seems.
Those who use latex tubes claim the ride is nicer. One caveat about latex tubes is they are more porous than standard butyl tubes, so they will lose air a little quicker. If you are the type who pumps before every ride regardless, it's a non-issue. If you're lazy like me and only pump once a week, you will need to pump more often.

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,595 Posts
In the summer, I ride in the North East on suburban 2 lane back roads. I can only remember getting a flat 2x in the past 35 years. (I hope I am not jinxing myself by writing this ;-)

In the winter, I ride in FL (in the A1A bike lane) on semi urban roads. I have flatted 6x in 5 years. Mostly it is a construction staple or piece of metal that punctures through tire and tube.

I am riding Conti Grand Prix 4 season 700 x 25 tires. I am wondering if there is something tougher, yet good performance as well. Thanks.
Hey OP, guess what...

The obvious place for your post

1 - 12 of 12 Posts