Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Frame: GT Edge (old triple triangle...STIFF)
Wheels: Mavic Ksyrium Elite
Tires: Vredestein Fortezza SE 700 x 23
Me: 53 Years, 183 pounds, ride about 2000 miles per year for fitness, including a few centuries
Other: Specialized Pave Seatpost, various shorts, Specialized Avatar 130 (pretty good fit for me)
Problem: starting to feel a little worn out in the hind quarters by about 30+ miles.

Considering going to a more comfortable tire because it appears to be the cheapest option right now. I don't know of an objective way to quantify what I'm looking for, but my priorities would be: 1. comfort 2. rolling resistance 3 handling 4 weight

Tires that I'm considering in no particular order-
Rivendell Roll-y Pol-y (700x28)
Michelin Pro Race 2 (700x25)
Vredestein Fortezza TriComp (700x25)

I know that I should probably consider a different wheelset or even frame, but I'm thinking that I should try tires first.
Any suggestions?

· Registered
125 Posts
Tires and pressure are the best bang for the buck change you can make. For comfort you should generally use the largest tire that will fit your bike and inflate to the lowest pressure that will avoid pinch flats. Tire construction can also be a factor, a higher TPI generally results in a more compliant (comfortable) ride. Consider Continental Ultra 2000 tires-700x28 or Grand Prix 3000-700x25 (Nashbar has both for decent prices). The best performing tire I have found (including comfort) is the Vittoria Open Corsa-700x23 (the actual size is more like a 700x25). Be advised, Open Corsas are considered race tires and many reviews list complaints of frequent flats and short tire life (I have not experienced more frequent flats compared to other tires and have gotten good mileage, but I am relatively light and dont generate a lot of power). Probikekit.com has Open Corsas for excellent prices.

· Registered
1,693 Posts
My changing from Kenda Kontenders to the Continental GP 3000 made a great difference in ride. I recently bought an 87 Bianchi and replaced the 27" rims for 700 23 and put Conti Ultra 3000 running about 85-90 psi and really like the ride.

I have 1200 miles on the GP3000, so far no flats and one cut completely across the rear about 1mm deep and no threads showing. :cool:

· Registered
63 Posts
longhorn, for your objective of comfort, tires are definitely the first place to start...

I recently purchased a couple pairs of veloflex paves to see for myself all of the hype surrounding these tires. I am impressed with the noticeable improvement of plushness and road feel these tires offer at 22c. Compared to the Hutchinson Fusions that came stock on my stiff aluminum C'dale R6000 these are night and day in terms of comfort, handling, weight, probably attributable to the tires' supple casing. I can't comment on the rolling resistance and durability factors yet, but these tires are on the higher end of the price range ($35 at probikekit) and are worth every penny (to me).

· Registered
12 Posts
I'll second the Veloflex Paves. I could not believe the difference in ride comfort while still retaining great road feel. Night and day difference between my stock road tires. I have about 500 miles on them with no cuts, flats or noticable wear. My only negative comment would be they are a SOB to install, sore thumbs for days, but worth all the pain and money.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.