Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have ridden mountian bike for years and now want a road bike but we will be ridiing in our downtown area often which has a few curbs you run in to.Im in debate on trek1500,felt80,or ocr1 or 2.my piont is i dont want to make a $1000 investment and then wreck the rims.what can i do or what other kind of bike can i get because i want the road feel with some toughness.i checked out the cyclocross and they have nobby tires.can somebody help me please?

·
Lexicon Devil
961 Posts
fatandoutofshape said:
i have ridden mountian bike for years and now want a road bike but we will be ridiing in our downtown area often which has a few curbs you run in to.Im in debate on trek1500,felt80,or ocr1 or 2.my piont is i dont want to make a $1000 investment and then wreck the rims.what can i do or what other kind of bike can i get because i want the road feel with some toughness.i checked out the cyclocross and they have nobby tires.can somebody help me please?
Buy a cyclocross bike and switch the tires out for some $30 slicks. Then, if you ever want to go and play in the dirt for a day, you have that option.

I've been road racing a cyclocross bike and while it isn't the ideal tool for the job, the versatility of the bike makes it totally worth owning.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Curb hopping on a road bike.

What do you mean by "a few curbs you run in to?" How high are they? I you mean running straight into a a 4+" curb without even attempting to lift your wheels, you'll need a suspension fork (which are rare on road bikes). If you mean popping your wheels up to hop up onto a curb and rolling off of curbs and dropping, then any road bike will do. I regularly hop up and down 6-8" curbs on all my road bikes. You just have to remember to lift the wheels up before you hit the curb. Dropping a few inches off a curb onto a flat road should not hurt any road wheels - its slamming into the sharp edge of a pothole that damages rims.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mark McM said:
What do you mean by "a few curbs you run in to?" How high are they? I you mean running straight into a a 4+" curb without even attempting to lift your wheels, you'll need a suspension fork (which are rare on road bikes). If you mean popping your wheels up to hop up onto a curb and rolling off of curbs and dropping, then any road bike will do. I regularly hop up and down 6-8" curbs on all my road bikes. You just have to remember to lift the wheels up before you hit the curb. Dropping a few inches off a curb onto a flat road should not hurt any road wheels - its slamming into the sharp edge of a pothole that damages rims.
im sorry,they are anywhere to 2-8" curbs and i can bunny hop.....lol...there will be no slamming into curbs,i just pose a concern about destroying the wheels...for example,the Bontrager Select wheel on a trek 1500 compare to Alex AKX R2.0 wheels on the felt80 or the Xero XSR-4 on a ocr2...would any of these wheels stand a chance of jumping on and off curbs..if so which one is a better choice?

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Wheel stress and dropping off curbs

fatandoutofshape said:
im sorry,they are anywhere to 2-8" curbs and i can bunny hop.....lol...there will be no slamming into curbs,i just pose a concern about destroying the wheels...for example,the Bontrager Select wheel on a trek 1500 compare to Alex AKX R2.0 wheels on the felt80 or the Xero XSR-4 on a ocr2...would any of these wheels stand a chance of jumping on and off curbs..if so which one is a better choice?
Jumping and landing on flat surfaces from a few inches (i.e. roads, sidewalks) puts less stress on the wheel than hitting potholes. Any decent wheel should be able to take hopping and up and down the typical curb. As I mentioned, I regularly hop up and down 6-8" curbs with all the road wheels I own, including ultra-lightweight American Classic 350s. Another example is bunny hopping potholes - hopping over a pot hole is much easier on the wheels than slamming through them, so if the wheels can take rolling over reasonable potholes, they should be more than strong enough to bunny hop them.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,426 Posts
This is just what you need.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Until recently, I'd been riding a Cannondale T2000 for years and it's been virtually indestructible. Touring bikes aren't the most common, but they are typically very sturdy and a nice comfortable ride if you aren't worried much about your speed.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts