Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes, I know it sounds crazy, but I am measured rigĥt. I moved to a new saddle with less rear adjustability, so I need to compensate in the seat post.

First, I need a 31.6mm diameter fit and the 25mm rear offset.

I've found these:
Paul's Tall and Handsome looks great but isn't 31.6
Lynskey has a great Ti post with 27mm, but not in 31.6
Truvativ Stylo T40 is 31.6 and 25mm
FSA has the K-Force with 32mm and 31.6 but is Carbon
Thomson's units only have 17mm

So, it looks like i might have some options, but I'd rather buy local....... any suggestions?

·
Registered
8,224 Posts
If you Google "31.6 mm setback seatpost" you will find many options.

It's up to you to find which one is available locally. Your mail and UPS couriers are no doubt local, so buying on the web supports them. :)

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you Google "31.6 mm setback seatpost" you will find many options.

It's up to you to find which one is available locally. Your mail and UPS couriers are no doubt local, so buying on the web supports them. :)
I don't mean locally as in shipping. I mean, locally, as I perform someone like Rivendell, BREW, etc who are local shops that make non-factory goods. I prefer to support the small guys than mass produced stuff.

It's more asking opinions of any I might come across. Google didn't come up with the Paul's seat post, which is why I ask.

·
Registered
8,224 Posts
I don't mean locally as in shipping. I mean, locally, as I perform someone like Rivendell, BREW, etc who are local shops that make non-factory goods. I prefer to support the small guys than mass produced stuff.

It's more asking opinions of any I might come across. Google didn't come up with the Paul's seat post, which is why I ask.
Oh, it sounds like you really mean "boutique". Local would be in you area, of which we do not know where that is. Rivendell is in California and BREW is in North Carolina, hard for both to be local. I expect either of those shops could make you what you need...for a price.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh, it sounds like you really mean "boutique". Local would be in you area, of which we do not know where that is. Rivendell is in California and BREW is in North Carolina, hard for both to be local. I expect either of those shops could make you what you need...for a price.
Local = American/Canadian made :) As opposed to China or Taiwan made. Supporting the grassroots continental industry. You're right, I should have been more specific.

·
Registered
5,347 Posts
USE plastic shims work very well.

You will be hard pressed to find ANY seat posts that aren't made in China or Taiwan. Even those sold by "american" companies.

·
is riding in MOPP4
695 Posts
Forget Ritchey then. they are made in Asia. If you want something North American-made, then you should consider custom. Plenty of custom frame builders will also make seat posts and stems. However, most are 27.2 in size and made of titanium. $300 will get you a custom made in Oregon 31.6mm/25mm offset Ti seat post here: Ti Cycles :: Hand Made in Portland, Oregon USA

There are plenty of folks who will do a custom steel seat post, or go the easy route and order a Nitto S-84 from Rivendell.

FTW out of NH does custom aluminum here: FTW Merchandise | Frank The Welder

All will be much more $$$ than a $50 Ritchey: Ritchey Classic 2-Bolt Seatpost Hi-Polish Silver | Ritchey

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Any opinions on the reliability of the inserts? I worry about slippage due to have to basically use the same force to clamp two pieces of metal instead of one.

·
Never Give Up!
1,241 Posts

·
Registered
9,658 Posts
I talked to them about this yesterday in fact. Seems that early summer for prototypes and late summer for production.
Just out of curiosity did you happen to learn if the 25mm setback will replace the bent 16mm setback one or will it be offered in addition to?

I'm hoping it's in addition too and not a replacement because the bent one with 16mm is perfect for me. Not that it's hard to find another brand that's 15mm or close enough but still, I really like their posts for metal bikes.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts