Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about to replace the shifting cable's on my bike, and see that they have a lube on them, and read that shimano uses a lube, so I priced it and its expensive, so I was wondering if there is a substitute I could use, shimano calls it a light silicon base grease, so would a o-ring plumber base grease work or what would?

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I'm about to replace the shifting cable's on my bike, and see that they have a lube on them, and read that shimano uses a lube, so I priced it and its expensive, so I was wondering if there is a substitute I could use, shimano calls it a light silicon base grease, so would a o-ring plumber base grease work or what would?
This is to only use on the cable inside shifter body

·
Registered
21,511 Posts
Any decent grease will work. Don't fall for the hype of Shimano "magic" grease. If you want to thin the grease a little, add a light layer of oil so you end up with an oil/grease mix.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
13,433 Posts
Any decent grease will work. Don't fall for the hype of Shimano "magic" grease. If you want to thin the grease a little, add a light layer of oil so you end up with an oil/grease mix.
But....but......the Shimano grease is a special space age formula with fairy dust and unicorn horns. ;)

·
Registered
116 Posts
Plumbers silicone grease is too thick. The liner can be degraded/softened by grease. Silicone grease is inert and is thus safe for cable liners. I wouldn't use any just old grease or spray lube in a plastic cable liner.

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,391 Posts
Why are you replacing the cables (not 'cable's)?

ETA: Should be posted in 'components/wrenhing'.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Why are you replacing the cables (not 'cable's)?

ETA: Should be posted in 'components/wrenhing'.
Sorry, I'm replacing the cables because they have 3,500 miles on them and they are on Ultegra 8000 shifters, and I read they can be hard on cables(also the grease is only to be used on the cable inside the shifter, when I checked them I notice some light grease there).

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,391 Posts
Got it. You should replace the housing too but you're putting new cables in for the right reason. Any light grease will work fine for that.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Not really. The casing liners are not affected by grease in any way that I have ever seen, and I've been greasing them for decades.
Well, how would you know? Maybe the cables would get draggy sooner and you'd change the cables and think it's normal. I don't want to take chances so I'll use the Shimano silicone lube. It's a bit expensive but one jar lasts a lifetime.

·
Registered
877 Posts
I haven't had a mechanical shifting bike in quite a while, but I used to wipe the cables down with a light layer of white lithium or teflon grease. It worked well for me.

Shimano's 'Shift Cable Grease' is silicone based, so that is probably the safest best. The Shimano stuff is expensive and hard to find.

There are a million products on the market called "cable grease". Most of them are for bigger jobs like pulling large cables through conduits, and would not be ideal for your shift cables.

Avoid anything that will get gummy and attract dirt and grime over time.

·
Registered
725 Posts
In the old days before electronic shifting I would do like most bike shops do and put some tri flow on my fingers and coat the new cable and call it good. As someone just said anything that is gummy or wet will attract dirt over time and that is called oil or grease. Since the cable is going through a plastic liner it really does not need any lube at all. Sometimes I would blow out the cable housing from each end just in case there was anything inside to blow out, and there never was. Since I am a perfectionist I eventually went to DI-2 and have never looked back. O shifting problems and O cable breakage.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Oh, I don't know. How about a couple of degrees in chemical engineering and 37 years in the chemical industry?
OK then, what plastic is the liner made from? Should be simple to look up how compatible it is with a given type of lubricant on a compatibility chart.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
From what I understand is that petroleum based lubricants can break down plastic and hence housing liners. That’s one reason for liking the Shimano lube and as one poster said, one jar will last a lifetime.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
13,433 Posts
From what I understand is that petroleum based lubricants can break down plastic and hence housing liners. That’s one reason for liking the Shimano lube and as one poster said, one jar will last a lifetime.
If petro based lubricants are a problem, there is always this:

·
Banned Sock Puppet
13,433 Posts
1 - 20 of 26 Posts