Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
21,523 Posts
OK then, what plastic is the liner made from? Should be simple to look up how compatible it is with a given type of lubricant on a compatibility chart.
Typically would be HDPE or nylon. Like the kind of plastic bottles they sell oil in. Compatibility issues?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Typically would be HDPE or nylon. Like the kind of plastic bottles they sell oil in. Compatibility issues?
Probably not, but Brucey, a technical wizard on the Cycling UK forum says liners are made from four different types of plastics, some of which have compatibility problems, although he didn't specify which ones, so I'm erring on the side of caution.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Probably not, but Brucey, a technical wizard on the Cycling UK forum says liners are made from four different types of plastics, some of which have compatibility problems, although he didn't specify which ones, so I'm erring on the side of caution.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I err on the side of caution by using di2 and hydraulic brakes on most of my bikes. But I suppose with brakes you trade out cable replacements with annual bleeds.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
13,533 Posts
I err on the side of caution by using di2 and hydraulic brakes on most of my bikes. But I suppose with brakes you trade out cable replacements with annual bleeds.
Brake cables take a looooong time to wear out as they are thicker than shift cables and they don't wrap around in a tight circle like a shift cable does - especially inside a hungry Shimano shifter.

·
Neophyte
2,141 Posts
Super Lube 21030 has always worked for me and seems inexpensive. Although I don't put the kind of miles on my bikes that more dedicated cyclists do.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts