Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, my first post here although I have always been reading on comments in this forum. I am glad that the bmc forum is very active here. I need some inputs to decide which to get: 2011 SL01 OR 2012 SR01. I am from the other side of the world and these two are on sale both at the same price (equivalent to around $800 for the frameset). I could not test the bike since the dealer is located in another city far far away.

I do have a carbon triathlon bike as my main race bike (Argon18) and I need a road bike for longer easy rides and occassional draft legal races. First option was to get a cheaper aluminum bike (ridley fenix 7005 at $450) so as no to baby it much especially when travelling by plane or boat but when these two showed up in my size (57), I just couldnt resist. I always wanted a bmc.

So, anyway, I have been reading all of the posts here and while the SL01 could be a better value because of the carbon material, a couple of issues are present:
(1) the streampost which is prone to creaking/slipping, long term issues (carbon paste is not available here)
(2) durability of carbon as some have reported
(3) only green is available which is not really my taste
(4) flexy fork, though i have no idea if this is the same fork used in SR,
according to bikeradar
BMC Roadracer SL01 Review - BikeRadar

The SR01 however is aluminum but in comparison to other brands, it is on the expensive side, even on sale already. It comes in a neutral color which is safer from the fashion police but my only concern is that:
(1) is it as stiff as the SL01?
(2) would this be a better choice given that the bike will see rougher handling?

So, in general, could you guys comment on what would you choose if you were in my shoes? Thanks very much. :aureola:

·
Registered
7,162 Posts
Nothing specific to offer except that thought the Streampost is an unfortunate design aberration, it's fairly straightforward to deal with. Keep the post, expansion plug and inside of the seat tube clean and free of any lubes or pastes. That'll keep it from slipping and also prevents needing to tighten the expansion plug so much that it gets stuck. Apply plastic stick-on film to the rear of the seat post where it enters the seat tube. That'll keep if from creaking.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tnx for the reply looigi. Looks like most of the problems can be solved easily:
1. streampost - ensure clean and free + plastic film
2. durability of carbon - nah...
3. color scheme - i played with some colors using the pictures in the net and a simple changing of the bartape color from black to blue or green makes the bike look so much better.
4. only concern left is the review by bikeradar indicating flexy fork
BMC Roadracer SL01 Review - BikeRadar

is there any teeth to this comment?

·
Registered
50 Posts
I may not have much to add but i'm bored at work so I thought I'd share my 2 cents worth. I had a SLX01 with the stream post and itdid slip on occasion, but it wasn't really a deal breaker. No other issues. I'm not familiar with the SR01 but i recently test rode a SL01 and thoroughly enjoyed it...although it was a short ride. My first thought was that it was very responsive and agile for an entry level race bike. The ride was too short to really notice any fork flexing. It's hard to beat the value on this model as well. The one I looked at was very well equipped (ultegra all around) for around $3K (USD).

I’m a recreational rider and it’s been my experience that professional reviews for guys like me don’t really mean all that much. A few grams here and there or a tiny bit of flexing or stiffness as compared to other models doesn’t sway my decision as to what I’m going to ride. BMC’s are sweet…if you are curious about them I don’t think you will be disappointed. Good Luck!

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have the 2011 SL01 (w/SRAM Force).
- No problems with the streampost, added some clear packing tape on the back of the post where it enters the frame, as looigi pointed out.
- I find the ride comfortable, more comfier than my alloy CX02 with 32mm tires. I use 25mm tires on the SL01.
- Never noticed the fork being too flexy.
- Durability of the carbon - well, no issues there (yet...). BMC offers a 5 year warranty for the frame if you register it on their website
- The frame isn't light - it's 1250g in size 57.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the inputs. However, my excitement quickly died down when upon calling the sales lady again, she clarified that it was a 2009 model green SL01 and not the 2011 model green SL01 she earlier stated. The 2009 model is an aluminum with a carbon seatstay but I find the price too much. At this price, I could already get another current brand in full carbon. :)

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
Thanks for the inputs. However, my excitement quickly died down when upon calling the sales lady again, she clarified that it was a 2009 model green SL01 and not the 2011 model green SL01 she earlier stated. The 2009 model is an aluminum with a carbon seatstay but I find the price too much. At this price, I could already get another current brand in full carbon. :)
depends. a new 2009 sl01 is still plenty capable, arguably better than a new street racer

how much?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
still at $800 for the frameset so basing on the other choices/brands, it on the expensive side.

OT: its ironman expo here and while i need to prepare some stuffs for tomorrow's race, our local LBS just slashed 25% on the 2013 Ridley Models (I'm eyeing on the basic aluminum fenix model which is around $325) and a whooping 50% off on the Argon 18 2011 model (effectively at $750 for the Krypton). So now I have to go there again today and decide. The problem is which one??? A very good problem, actually. :idea:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts