Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Our hero is saved!
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all!

I'm interested in getting a fixed gear bike, but have neither the required leftover/old parts needed to do a conversion cheaply nor the $$$ to buy new. While perusing eBay, I found a couple of old converted bikes, like this one, for sale. The seller has a handful of similar bikes up for auction as well. Any thoughts? Are they junk? Am I going to end up replacing several components if I got this bike, or one like this? Or are they serviceable?

I watched an auction a couple of weeks ago and the bike went for about $150, excluding shipping. I'd like a fixed gear bike mostly to play around on and commute. This seems like a good option - not too much of an investment but it gets me a new toy!

I'd appreciate any advice you've got!

Thanks for the help!

-spiff

·
On your left!
1,301 Posts
Good day for Centurion talk....

see my other posts for today and these bikes were also the topic.

I like these bikes a lot. High quality Japanese, Tange 1 or 2.

As far as this bike goes, looks good. The big issue here is the lack of a dedicated track hub on the rear wheel.

You can see a few threads on this subject here in this forum. Bottom line, a thread on freewheel hub is not the same as a track hub and can be quite dangerous. A track hub allows you to thread on a cog, similar to a road hub. The important difference is that a track hub has a slightly smaller set of threads in reverse of the cog that allows you to thread on a lock ring that keeps the cog from threading off the hub...Well I tried to make it clear, but maybe not so...

Anyway, If I were you and I had this bike, I'd put a rear brake on the bike and not try to back pedal to slow down. I'd also buy some Loctite and apply it to the threads.

Other than that, I'd go for it. The shipping looks a bit high, considering the 25.00 boxing fee in addtion to shipping.

Or, make your rounds by Goodwill, Salvation Army, Yard Sales and etc. I bought my last Centurion for $35.00 with a like new Shimano Ultegra group on it.

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
Centurions were nice in their day.

Riding with a track cog screwed on where the freewheel used to be isn't bad as long as you have a brake. I screwed mine off once in over 3 years and stopped easily with the front brake. My son has a fixie and seems to be too big, strong and careless to ride that way, so ymmv.

·
Our hero is saved!
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the help guys!

I emailed the seller - it's a freewheel hub with a track cog. I don't much like the idea of the cog unthreading itself when I brake. How much would a new rear wheel cost? Would it be cheaper to buy a track hub and have the wheel rebuilt?

Once again, thanks!

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Spaceman Spiff said:
Thanks for the help guys!

I emailed the seller - it's a freewheel hub with a track cog. I don't much like the idea of the cog unthreading itself when I brake. How much would a new rear wheel cost? Would it be cheaper to buy a track hub and have the wheel rebuilt?

Once again, thanks!
Spiff: A nice rear wheel from IRO can be had for about a hundred bucks. Call it "cheap life insurance." You really don't want to go with the suicide hub set-up if you can avoid it. The trick is getting the spacing to match up with your frame, but Tony can help you with that; he offers the standard build in 120, 126, and 130 mm.

http://www.irocycle.com/wheels.html

·
Registered
92 Posts
I put a lock ring from a bottom bracket on after the cog, threads are the same size. Granted they are both right-threaded, but if you tighten them down enough I think you shouldn't run into any problems. If you are dilligent about checking chain tension and axle bolt tightness (and there is no reason you shouldn't be) you can just add this quick item to your weekly pre-flight checklist. And racerx's suggestion about loctite is a very reasonable and sound idea.

This seller has a bunch of conversions up every week or so. I've been seeing his stuff for quite a while. Judging by his feedback people are happy with them, and I've always thought his descriptions are pretty detailed and informed. I've come pretty close to buying a couple off him in the past but I usually passed due to lact of funds/surplus of my own parts.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.