Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to get my first road bike. Had it narrowed down to a Defy 2 or A GT GTR Series 2.

Went to LBS looked around a noticed an older model GTR Series 2, with a mostly 105 setup (minus breaks, and possibly the crankset) , carbon forks, carbon Ritchey seatpost, etc... http://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/BikeSpecs.aspx?Year=2008&Brand=GT&Model=GTR+Series+Two&Type=bike

Breaks and bar appear unbranded as well.

They have it for $999. They also have one a size larger, but minus the carbon forks (in front and back), is this a different year, midyear switch? Otherwise they are identical.

Anyone have experience with this GT bike (w/ carbon forks), and would you consider it for the money? Or would you go with a 2011 Defy 2, $969. I'm going back to ride both. However I was unable to find anything out about the 2008 GTR, any help is appreciated. Thanks,

-John

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
First ride both and figure out which one fits better. Does the Defy have 105 components? There has been much improvement on the newer 105 group set, so the 2008 GTR with the older 105 experienced some problems with the left shifter. Manufacturers at this price point put certain items on like the deraileurs so you can say it has 105's; but the brakes, bars, cranks, etc are not the same brand. This keeps the price down, absolutely nothing wrong, it's just the bike you are buying at that price point.

Most important, get a good fitting and test ride; figure out which bike feels best to you.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Tommy Walker said:
First ride both and figure out which one fits better. Does the Defy have 105 components? There has been much improvement on the newer 105 group set, so the 2008 GTR with the older 105 experienced some problems with the left shifter. Manufacturers at this price point put certain items on like the deraileurs so you can say it has 105's; but the brakes, bars, cranks, etc are not the same brand. This keeps the price down, absolutely nothing wrong, it's just the bike you are buying at that price point.

Most important, get a good fitting and test ride; figure out which bike feels best to you.
I believe the 105 issues were prior to 2008 concerning the left chainring shifter.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts