Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone and thanks in advance for your advice!

I am buying my first road bike tomorrow and have never riden road bikes but really excited to get started. I narrowed it down today as I rode bikes. Here are the options and would love to get your feedback on these bikes and the prices:

2010 Specialized Allez Comp
Black
105 Components
$1,200

2009 Allez
Red
Tiagra rear, Sora Front and Sora shifters
$720

Big difference in price and trying to see if it makes sense.

Thanks

·
Registered
448 Posts
If it's feasible, I would go for the Comp with the 105. As you progress you're going to want to upgrade the Sora front end as I did, the 105 is a good level and will last you a long time. Is your LBS offering any discounts on the 2010 model?

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,006 Posts
DougandBeth said:
Hi everyone and thanks in advance for your advice!

I am buying my first road bike tomorrow and have never riden road bikes but really excited to get started. I narrowed it down today as I rode bikes. Here are the options and would love to get your feedback on these bikes and the prices:

2010 Specialized Allez Comp
Black
105 Components
$1,200

2009 Allez
Red
Tiagra rear, Sora Front and Sora shifters
$720

Big difference in price and trying to see if it makes sense.

Thanks
IMO the two biggest difference there are in these two bikes are the shifters and the fact that Sora is a 9 spd group and 105 is 10 spd. Sora employs a thumb shifter used to shift to the smaller ring in front and smaller cog at the rear. It's difficult to reach (thus operate) this tab when riding in the drops, so many more experienced riders see it as a drawback, but if you'll primarily be riding on the tops or hoods, it performs well. The105 shifters use an inner lever to do the same which can be reached and operated from the hoods or drops. The outer levers operate the same on both Sora and 105 shifters.

If you're interest is in fast training/ fitness riding with an eye towards racing in the future, the upgrade to 105 is probably worthwhile. But if you're basically going to stick with recreational/ fitness rides, then the Sora shifters would probably suffice. As you say, it's a big difference in price, so if you want to go with the lower priced model now, you could always look to upgrade the shifters as you became more experienced.

BTW, the '09 Allez was offered with a choice of double, triple or compact crankset, so depending on your fitness and terrain you'll be riding, that might be a consideration as well. The '10 Elite is equipped with a compact crankset.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I guess the MSRP is $1550, they have it priced at $1,400 and the LBS is giving it to me at $1,200

Another shop who competes with them said "If you can get it there for $1,200 then you need to grab it quickly"

·
Banned
1,317 Posts
i'd go with the 105, PJ's already given you all the good reasons to. You're going to want it after a few weeks/months into road biking anyway.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
I was going to say basically what PJ352 has so ditto on that.

Also, If I had to guess I'd think the differences are greater than you highlighted. The first one probably comes with better wheels and tires. You might want to double check on that if it makes a difference to you.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have not pulled the trigger yet. i have to decide tomorrow and i really want the comp but concerned that if i do not like road biking is it a waste of 1200

thoughts?

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,006 Posts
DougandBeth said:
I have not pulled the trigger yet. i have to decide tomorrow and i really want the comp but concerned that if i do not like road biking is it a waste of 1200

thoughts?
Based on what you've just offered, I think it makes sense to go with the cheaper model. The right fit is more apt to keep you riding than an upgraded drivetrain, and if you decide road riding isn't for you, you'll lose less selling the lower end bike. OTOH if you decide after a year or two you've outgrown the components, you could always upgrade. The frameset is certainly upgrade worthy.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I know its tough because i did feel a difference no question. in addition the comp felbetter fitguess onceme if i went the cheaper way it would feel the same. decisions decisions

anyone have either bike that could shed some light?

·
Registered
728 Posts
Get the 105. If you really hate road biking you can sell it for more than the other :)
If you get the 09 you'll just wonder what you were missing by not getting the 105....do it. do it. do it.

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,006 Posts
DougandBeth said:
I know its tough because i did feel a difference no question. in addition the comp felbetter fitguess onceme if i went the cheaper way it would feel the same. decisions decisions

anyone have either bike that could shed some light?
The two models have the same geometry, so unless you rode different sizes or were set up differently, they'll fit the same.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Go to bikesdirect.com. You can buy a 105 equiped bike for $700 including shipping. That way if you don't like it you won't lose much. If you choose to upgrade, you won't lose much. When you get your bike, you'll always be glad you got the better model. No one ever wishes they had the lower end model.

·
What the what???
12,711 Posts
I don't have those two bikes, but I do have one Sora and one 105. All other things being equal, I would recommend the 105 if it fits your budget. If you do really get into riding, you won't find yourself feeling the "need" to upgrade the 105 a year or two from now. With the Sora, you might. JMHO.

·
Neophyte
2,152 Posts
IMO... 105 is really functional stuff. It's 10-speed, also looks pretty slick. If you have 105, as a beginner you probably won't have to envy people with the next group up, Ultegra. However, if you're using Tiagra and/or Sora, you'll be wishing you had 105 for smoother shifting and more gearing options as soon as you start riding a decent amount. It should be worth the price difference. Ultimately, bike stuff isn't cheap... but spend a little more and you might love it a little more.

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,006 Posts
vontress said:
Go to bikesdirect.com. You can buy a 105 equiped bike for $700 including shipping. That way if you don't like it you won't lose much. If you choose to upgrade, you won't lose much. When you get your bike, you'll always be glad you got the better model. No one ever wishes they had the lower end model.
They might if they ended up with the wrong sized bike, which is a distinct possibility buying online and guessing at sizing requirements.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I am currently looking at used bikes and limit myself to 105 equipped bikes or better. Better components usually operate better, and are usually lighter.

When it comes time to sell it you will loose as much money out of it as you would the lesser equipped bike. Meaning you rent the bike for $3-400 for the length of ownership. If you can afford it rent the nicer one.

·
Registered
303 Posts
photobug said:
I am currently looking at used bikes and limit myself to 105 equipped bikes or better. Better components usually operate better, and are usually lighter.

When it comes time to sell it you will loose as much money out of it as you would the lesser equipped bike. Meaning you rent the bike for $3-400 for the length of ownership. If you can afford it rent the nicer one.

Your suggestion is really intrigueing! Lighter components=lighter bike? I think in this case, the difference b/t a allez and an allez comp is probably just the components. While I'd agree the components are probably lighter and thus the bike lighter, I can't imagine it'd be enough of a difference for a newbie to tell. And, I really doubt the difference in equipment performance would be that noticeable to a newbie either.

However, on a used bike, b/c 105 is considered a "better" component group, would you say the bike is better maintained because a "serious" rider probably bought it? I'd almost think a Sora/Tiagra group bought by a newbie that had rode it 15 miles maybe two or three times, quit, and garaged it would be a better buy than a well-maintained used bike with 105 that had 3000 miles on it. Of course, thats given the prices are respective of the market.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
vontress said:

I think you're underestimating the brand value of trying to sell a specialized vs a windsor or motobecane or mercier

you're going to take a big hit trying to sell a product that's considered a "no-name" brand to the majority of the public

1 - 20 of 23 Posts