Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm starting to look at heart rate monitors and possibly a heart rate monitor with GPS. I've heard Garmin has a good products for this area... I'm looking at the Edge 305, Edge 500 and Edge 705 units. I don't know if GPS mapping is a needed, but it would be convenient.

Any advice or recommendations would be appreciated.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'd like to use one device for heart rate and speed (gps) monitoring. Garmin has a few models that support both features. I just need to determine how important the GPS Directions/Maps feature will be on a ride.

·
Registered
501 Posts
I guess the mapping function is up to you and whether you know your area or wherever it is you want to ride. The price for the mapping function is pretty steep comparably. I have the edge 305 and find that it has all i need. The 305 will plot things on a map but not like the 705.

·
Registered
168 Posts
tron said:
I guess the mapping function is up to you and whether you know your area or wherever it is you want to ride. The price for the mapping function is pretty steep comparably. I have the edge 305 and find that it has all i need. The 305 will plot things on a map but not like the 705.
The only time I use the mapping function on my 705 is when I have a detailed cue sheet and want advance notice on streets coming up. That said, I like the larger screen / fonts on the 705 for my older eyes.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I found the 305 to be too big to wear all the time. I got the FR60 instead since it is water resistant to 50m so I can use it in the pool as well.

I have the version with the foot pod/HRM and optional bicycle speed/cadence monitor.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts