Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Need Advice on a possible purchase *UPDATED*

Hi,
I am new to this forum and want to apologize in advance if this is in the wrong section. First, I am brand new to road biking, it has been something I have wanted to try for a while and I am finally taking the plunge. I have looked through numerous threads on this site and want to say how great the information on here is, it has been a real eye opener and really helped me when looking at different bikes online.
The reason for my post is that I found what I think is a decent deal on craigslist and I thought that if anyone had any feedback, good or bad, this would be the place.
The bike is a GT Force? although I am not too sure about this as I have not found a similar one anywhere online. The guy selling it does not seem to have a great amount of knowledge although he has been very good about trying to answer my questions. It is Reynolds 4130 steel frame, Shimano RSX derailleurs and shifters. Unfortunately that is about all the information I can get about the bike. I have attached a picture that he sent me.

ANy information anyone may have about this bike would be great, he is selling it for $245 which after doing a lot of research seems to be a decent deal.

Thanks,
Matt

·
Registered
303 Posts
pretty decent find and looks to be a good bike for a first-time roadie!...RSX is Shimano's entry level and the bike looks to be an early to mid 90s. Looking at the boxes in the pictures, looks like he might've gotten a bunch of older, unbuilt bikes on the cheap.

My suggestions:
1) since the seller doesn't seem too technical, take it to someone who works on bikes, maybe an LBS, and get a second opinin on the assembly.
2) might want to look at a different seat...that one looks very uncomfortable.
3) ride the hell out of it!

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
Do you have any idea whether it will fit you? That's the first thing.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cheers Joseph, funny you mention the seat, that was the first thing i noticed as well and it will definitely be changed after purchase, thanks for the info

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
JCavilia said:
Do you have any idea whether it will fit you? That's the first thing.
Well to the fact of being the right size, yes. In terms of overall geometry no, but i will be going to look.ride it before buying

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
I don't know anything about the bike but $245 is chump change in the road bike market so you can't expect it to be great but any bike that's reliable and fits is probably worth $245 to someone looking to give the sport a try it a try.
See if you can test ride it. If it works and fits that's worth $245 alone.

·
Adventure Seeker
5,115 Posts
Welcome to the forums. I'd say if you can get it for under $200, and if it fits you, then go for it. The geometry looks unusual, so test riding is a definite. It seems tall with a very short top tube to me, but that may be the angle of the picture too. How tall are you? It looks like it's a 61cm-ish size.

·
Registered
71 Posts
RSX - should mid-late 90s, this is essentially what Sora is now and will work fine. It has a threaded headset/quilled stem which can make stem change outs/adjustments difficult. Height adjustment is a snap, but if the reach is wrong you will need a new stem and have to remove the tape and the shifters to switch them out (threadless headsets and stems w/removable face plates are one of the greatest things that happened to the bike industry in the last 20 years). $245 is a great deal for that if it fits. Agree with the seat comment above; big bulky seats look more comfortable than they are; add $50 for a better seat so you are in it for $300 which isn't bad.

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,006 Posts
tigeo said:
RSX - should mid-late 90s, this is essentially what Sora is now and will work fine. It has a threaded headset/quilled stem which can make stem change outs/adjustments difficult. Height adjustment is a snap, but if the reach is wrong you will need a new stem and have to remove the tape and the shifters to switch them out (threadless headsets and stems w/removable face plates are one of the greatest things that happened to the bike industry in the last 20 years). $245 is a great deal for that if it fits. Agree with the seat comment above; big bulky seats look more comfortable than they are; add $50 for a better seat so you are in it for $300 which isn't bad.
Off topic, but arguable, considering that along with them came the increased likelihood that a new fork now 'solves' maxing out on bar height adjustment. That used to be remedied with a simple adjustment (as you stated, height adjustment is a snap) in the quill stem era. Rewrapping bars was easy (and cheap) by comparison, but I'll grant you that adjusting reach is slightly better with the current setups.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you for all the information, i ended up buying the bike last night. I was able to talk the seller down to $190. The bike fit me as well as the bikes I tried at my LBS so I went for it.

I am planning on putting all the information up and see if you guys think I need to change out any of the components.

Thanks again.

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,006 Posts
MFulda said:
Thank you for all the information, i ended up buying the bike last night. I was able to talk the seller down to $190. The bike fit me as well as the bikes I tried at my LBS so I went for it.

I am planning on putting all the information up and see if you guys think I need to change out any of the components.

Thanks again.
Congrats on your new bike!! :thumbsup:

Regarding changing out any components: JMO, but at that price, if it works (fit-wise and functionally) I'd leave it be for the time being.

·
Registered
303 Posts
MFulda said:

Thanks again.

except for maybe the saddle...I wouldn't change/upgrade the components for at least six months of riding it. RSX is a pretty good system and really need to get into it more before making all the changes. Consider this bike a Honda Civic of bikes...even with fancy wheels and super-duper exhaust system, its still a Civic. Save your money for the Porsche that you'll get when you have your mid-life crisis.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So here are the specs for the bike as far as I can tell:

Groupset-Complete RSX, front and rear derailleur, hubs, crank, RSX STi shifters 3x8

Brakes- only non RSX component, label on the brakes say Shimano Exage Motion

Bar- Brevettato AE 2093

Pedals-RSX TIme Clipless Pedals, need to get some shoes, is it going to be a problem finding shoes to fit these?

Wheels- Araya 700c (700x25), with Swiss DT spokes, some sort of Continental tires that i think might need to be replaced

Frame- reynolds 4130 steel frame

No label on the bar stem

The bike is definitely in need of a tune up, hubs need greasing and wheels need to be trued

that is pretty much it, any comments will be appreciated

1 - 13 of 13 Posts