Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks in advance.

I am 5' 8", 144 lbs and I run about 25 miles a week. In between my runs, I want to bike, say 7-8 miles for couple of days. Mostly on a limestone trail but will be using bikes once in a while on roads and other mud trails etc. There is a prairie park next to me with crushed limestone trail and that is where I will be biking 80% of the time.

What type of bike should be I looking for? A road bike or cyclocross? From what I have been reading, a cyclocross is better suited. And can I get your advice on a decent bike in the 400-600$ range please.

Thanks a bunch.

·
Premium Member
5,457 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Going from a 54 to a 52 could certainly create some fit issues. It really depends just how well the "54" they are recommending to you fits and how the 52 you are looking at compares. If you are going to buy online, you owe it to yourself and your wallet to understand the basics of bike fit. And it isn't most of the myths and anecdotes put out there like "a fist full of seat post" and "the bar should obscure the front hub when you look down". Do a search on the forum. Find the threads that talk about the relationship between top tube length (effective) and seat tube angle. Use that knowledge to dissect geometry charts for all the bikes you are looking at to try to find the best fit.

Something tells me that Diamondback may not have the clearance to run 28s. Do some research and figure out if that bike will fit the width tires you are looking to run.

·
Premium Member
5,457 Posts

·
Heartless B*tch
231 Posts
Hey, all! I have been sidelined and off the forum for a while. I am fascinated with cyclocross and am looking for advice on a nimble, lightweight, tough machine for $2-3k. My road bike is an Orbea Orca Gold and I love it- it's my second 'Bea, but I know little to nothing about cross bikes. I'd like to stick to Orbea, but I heard that Giant has renamed and retooled their CX lineup. What I want is a bike that is light and quick that I can enjoy for long rides, but won't beat me to death on the brick streets and streetcar lines that make up my city, and a bike that can also take a little gnar-gnar too. The incident that sidelined me was a collision with a 900 yr old woman in a Buick and I got lucky with only a fractured ankle and 2 metatarsals (and have some new ti hardware installed. :devil:) Like the original poster, I also run, but this injury has really put a damper on that activity.

Any advice on a good, solid bike that I won't get bored with quickly will be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
5,457 Posts
At the $2-3k range... sounds like you already want to pay for a carbon fiber frame bike.

All I can say is... go out to the various LBS' and go test ride them.

Even with 35c tires... it's not going to make cobblestone streets smooth like something with say... your Rincon...

my bike... I went tubeless for the singletrack & cross races....

Keep in mind, most cross races, allow mountain bikes (no bar ends).... so you can test your fascination also.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey, all! I have been sidelined and off the forum for a while. I am fascinated with cyclocross and am looking for advice on a nimble, lightweight, tough machine for $2-3k. My road bike is an Orbea Orca Gold and I love it- it's my second 'Bea, but I know little to nothing about cross bikes. I'd like to stick to Orbea, but I heard that Giant has renamed and retooled their CX lineup. What I want is a bike that is light and quick that I can enjoy for long rides, but won't beat me to death on the brick streets and streetcar lines that make up my city, and a bike that can also take a little gnar-gnar too. The incident that sidelined me was a collision with a 900 yr old woman in a Buick and I got lucky with only a fractured ankle and 2 metatarsals (and have some new ti hardware installed. :devil:) Like the original poster, I also run, but this injury has really put a damper on that activity.

Any advice on a good, solid bike that I won't get bored with quickly will be greatly appreciated.
Word of advice. Please start a new thread because you are confusing my original thread on a different advice and price range. Thanks. Happy cycling.

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Have you looked into a flat bar road bike? Cross bikes are normally expensive cause of the shifters. Flat bar road bikes tend to use alot of mtn parts, which lowers the price a bit.
I ride two different kinds of these and like them alot
Bill

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Have you looked into a flat bar road bike? Cross bikes are normally expensive cause of the shifters. Flat bar road bikes tend to use alot of mtn parts, which lowers the price a bit.
I ride two different kinds of these and like them alot
Bill
I am looking at cyclocross mainly because I could use it on the road or on trails plus I do want to get a good exercise out of it and also want to go long distances some time. Also, planning to get a trainer for the winter months.

·
Premium Member
5,457 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks to all your advice. I finally got lucky and someone listed a 2008 Blue CX6.5 cyclocross and in perfect size 54cm and 2 miles away from my home. Whew!. Went and bought it immediately. Great condition. minor tune up needed. Rides great and it is so damn light (carbon forks and carbon seat stem). One of the lightest cyclocross bikes.

View attachment 278681

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.