Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased an Easton EC90 SLX fork for a custom Curtlo I'm building up. I wanted to keep it simple and the more I looked at the fork and all the decals, thought that they had to go.

Started sanding using 220 grit and switched to 320 once the decals were removed, but after cleaning w/ mineral spirits I noticed what appear to be strands of carbon showing though. I guess I was a tad overzealous in my sanding??!! :blush2:

So, what's the verdict on this fork. Still useable? A $350 mistake?
TIA
View attachment 161079

·
Registered
10,160 Posts
no problem...

The hint to stop should have been black dust or black water if you were wet sanding. That's how you know that you've hit carbon. I would have started with 320 and finished with 400 grit. I doubt you've hurt a thing. It takes quite a bit of sanding to remove enough material to reduce the strength.

Once you remove the decals, you could have just scuff sanded the rest of the fork with 600. No need to remove all the old clearcoat.

·
Carbon Fiber = Explode!
3,438 Posts
^^^ +1

dude, CNT = Carbon Nanotubes

Nano... they'll hold at the nano level.

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
C-40 said:
The hint to stop should have been black dust or black water if you were wet sanding. That's how you know that you've hit carbon. I would have started with 320 and finished with 400 grit. I doubt you've hurt a thing. It takes quite a bit of sanding to remove enough material to reduce the strength.

Once you remove the decals, you could have just scuff sanded the rest of the fork with 600. No need to remove all the old clearcoat.
Yes, retrospect being 20/20, I wouldn't have been quite so heavy handed. IIRC, the decals didn't come completely off till I was just past the clearcoat and I think Easton applied a matte black finish below that, because once the decals were off I still wasn't seeing carbon (and initially I couldn't see any through the clearcoat) . But what's done is done and my main concern now is the forks integrity, which I feel you've addressed.

My original plan was to just clearcoat, but now because the resulting finish is uneven, I'm going to apply primer, black base coat and clearcoat. If you have any additional suggestions for that process, feel free to share.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts