Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for a wheel upgrade, currently running fulcrum racing 7 aluminum wheels. I am a weekend rider that enjoys 20+ miles along the wash with the occasional climb. I have done some research on the shimano dura ace line specifically because I hear such high praise about them. I was mainly looking at the C24, but on a pure aesthetic stand point I honestly like the deep dish of the C35 and C50 (however, the profile on the C75 is a bit excessive). I know i'll take a bigger hit on the wallet, but I love sexy rides.. Who doesn't right?

Some info that may help..
Height: 5' 9"
Weight: 150lbs
My budget is about 1k give or take
pic of my bike
View attachment 280085

Any other wheels I should consider with this budget? Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
910 Posts
You are right. You have to go to the C50/75 to get the new wider rim design. The C24s are great wheels in either version. Depends if you care about 11 sp or not. They are 20.8 wide so not 23mm but wider than the typical 19mm rim.

·
chamois creme addict
1,479 Posts
Lots of misleading info on the 9000 series C35 rims. They are not 23mm wide, even though many online sellers imply that they are. They are 20.8mm wide like the C24. The 9000 series does have the 2:1 lacing, and they also have a new rim design compared to the 7900 version. The rim is now an alloy/carbon laminate like the C24, whereas the 7900 rim was an alloy rim with a carbon section bonded to (more like the C50).

I just put a set of the 9000 series C35 on last weekend and I have 3 rides on them now. Impressions - they are well built, very true and round with even spoke tension and properly dished. The DA hubs are sublime. I have them set up with Conti GP4000 25C tires, and a Shimano 6700 10-spd cassette on bike running 7900 components. Riding-wise, almost all of my early season riding was on a hanbuilt HED C2/King R45 wheelset. First off I noticed the relative slowness of the Shimano freehub to engage after coasting, compared to the King R45. Then again, every hub is slower compared to the Kings. The C35 do provide a subtle aero advantage over the HEDs, less spokes and a deeper section. On the flats they feel much like my Enve 45/DT240s clinchers in terms of aero performance. Faster feeling and also more susceptible to crosswinds than the HEDs or any other lower-profile rim. Climbing steeps (greater than 10%), for sure the rim weight is more noticeable but they are still reasonable and do not feel much different than the HEDs. Comparing them against the Enve is unfair, as my Enve build is nearly 200 grams lighter and almost all of that is rim weight. So the Enve are always going to have an advantage in terms of climbing. One other impression would be that the ride is a little more "harsh" with the C35 compared to the shallower/wider HED C2 rim. I would not say the ride is as harsh as a Ksyrium SL, Campy Eurus/Shamal, or Fulcrum Racing Zero/One.

Overall, the C35s seem like a quality product. They compare well to wheels like the Fulcrum Zero or Campy Shamal, with a little more aero profile. The build quality seems quite high, this is the first pair of Shimano factory-built wheels I have owned but the quality seems on-par with Campy/Fulcrum and above Mavic/Bontrager/HED.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.