Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the near future I am going to buy my first road bike and I intend to get a computer for it and later put clipless pedals on. My first question is... Is it hard to install a wired computer or is it worth the extra dollars to get wireless computer? I found a nice Cateye wireless for 39.00.
Next question.. If I get shoes for clipless pedals, will they fit any type of pedal or do certain pedals only fit for certain shoes? Thank you for any suggestions or advice.

· Registered
203 Posts
The wired computers are a piece of cake to install. You just have to wrap the wire from the fork-mounted sensor to the computer unit around the brake cable a couple dozen times. For some reason, the wire they supply is seemingly long enough for a 90cm frame size, so you need to wrap it a bunch to take up the slack. It takes 10 minutes, tops.

As for shoes. Not all shoes work with all pedal systems. There are two basic types of pedals -- two bolt systems (SPD, Time ATAC, i.e., most MTB pedal systems) and three bolt systems (Look Shimano SPD-SL, etc.). The number of bolts refers to the number of bolts the cleat uses to attach to the shoe. The shoe is pre-drilled for either system, although some shoes are pre-drilled for both types. MTB shoes are always two-bolt systems; road shoes are always drilled for at least three-bolt systems, although some support two-bolt cleats as well.

The difference between MTB and road shoes basically comes down to that MTB shoes are a lot easier to walk in.

· Registered
93 Posts
BTurn7 said:
My first question is... Is it hard to install a wired computer or is it worth the extra dollars to get wireless computer? .
What are you going to do with the bike? You can get a really basic wireless computer for incredibly little money these days, and on my rain bike I always found the first thing to fail was the terminals on a wired computer, so if the bike is going to get wet a wireless would make a lot of sense.

OTOH if the bike will stay dry a wired system is only installed once, and will cause a lot less headaches.

· Out of work goaltender
147 Posts
I like to get wireless computers just because it looks a lot cleaner on the bike. I would hold off on the pedals and shoes for a bit, I got some cheapos last year and just ended up replacing them this year. If you get some good ones they'll really last. Road shoes will be lighter and will feel a whole lot better after long rides. I did 70 last monday with sidi's and look's and my feet felt just as good at the end of the ride as the beginning.

edit: actually, getting mountain bike shoes and spd's worked out great last year, the two sides to clip in helped me a bunch, and I didn't have to worry about wiping out while walking in the shoes. If you get another bike they could work good there if you upgrade later. (mine work great on my fixed gear now).

· Registered
210 Posts
I have the Echowell F2 wired computer with cadence and I love it. It is a little more complicated to install because of having to run the wire to the back wheel and crank arm but it has been trouble free since I got it installed. Being on the back wheel I can use my bike in my trainer and the computer will still function. As far as pedals go, I use the Crank Brothers Candies with a pair of Nike MTB shoes. The shoes are very non-aggressive looking as far as MTB shoes go. I love the fact that I can walk in them normally. Good luck with your purchases.

· Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Another question....Do cycling computers only display current speed in km's or can you switch between mph and km? The one I am thinking about getting is the Cateye wireless and all the pictures I have seen of it are displayed in km's.

· Registered
151 Posts
If you intend to ride the bike for anything more than just getting coffee and a paper, get the clippless pedals right away. I just posted in your other thread about the Trek, you are almost exactly where I was a year ago. I bought a cheapish set of nike shoes, and shimano spd pedals for a total of less than $150. It makes all the difference in the world as opposed to riding in normal shoes. Just do it right from the begining and you'll be much better off in the long run.

· Cowboy up
3,886 Posts
The wired computers are easy to install. The instructions are helpful but my advice is to mount the sensors first (leaving the zip ties a little loose for adjustments) and work your way up to mounting the computer on the handlebar last and take the slack out of the wire by winding the computer mount around the cable. Once you have everything in position then you can tighten the zip ties.

The jump in price for wireless cadence is not worth it in my opinion. I don't think you mentioned cadence but the Cateye Astrale 8 is about $40 and it's a nice feature to have. I have not had a problem with water affecting the wires or computer.

· Squirrel Hunter
3,854 Posts
Wire and Cadence

Art853 said:
The wired computers are easy to install. The instructions are helpful but my advice is to mount the sensors first (leaving the zip ties a little loose for adjustments) and work your way up to mounting the computer on the handlebar last and take the slack out of the wire by winding the computer mount around the cable. Once you have everything in position then you can tighten the zip ties.

The jump in price for wireless cadence is not worth it in my opinion. I don't think you mentioned cadence but the Cateye Astrale 8 is about $40 and it's a nice feature to have. I have not had a problem with water affecting the wires or computer.
As Art noted, the wired computers are pretty easy to install. Often times the argument for going wireless is the aesthetics. With some patience and attention to detail you can get a very clean look when installing a wired computer. Also take a look at the clunky wireless pickups particularly on the Cateye and decide which looks uglier, the wires or that huge pick up on the chainstay.

For a new cyclists I would say cadence is a must have feature that will help you improve as a rider more than any other item that appears on the computer display. The Cateye Astrale 8 is an excellent computer with cadence included.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.