Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am 160lb rider, looking to upgrade out of a beginner wheelset and look for something mid-level. need something strong sense riding on farm to market roads with chip seal. I was looking to maybe go with mavic open pro rims with an shimano ultegra hub or mavic ksyrium equipe wheels. never looked into buying wheels please help shed some light on this for me thanks.

·
Registered
21,832 Posts
Your first impulse

2761adam said:
I am 160lb rider, looking to upgrade out of a beginner wheelset and look for something mid-level. need something strong sense riding on farm to market roads with chip seal. I was looking to maybe go with mavic open pro rims with an shimano ultegra hub or mavic ksyrium equipe wheels. never looked into buying wheels please help shed some light on this for me thanks.
By far the best value is hand built wheels based on something like Velocity Aerohead or MAVIC Open Pro with the hubs of your choice. The factory wheels offer only special spokes/spoke patterns and expensive repair, but no performance advantages until you get over $1K and into aero wheels.

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,019 Posts
2761adam said:
I think I am looking to go with the ultegra hubs with open pro rims, but would there be any need to go with the cxp22,23,or33 rim thanks
None of these choices are 'lightweights', but the Open Pro's are the lightest of this group and, IME proven performers, so they would be my choice.

If this ends up being your pick, check out Performance bike. The wheelsets usually run about $280 and 10%+ discounts are common.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.